REFLECTOR: aircraft engines

Douglas Holub doug.holub at comcast.net
Mon Jul 3 14:48:22 CDT 2006


I'm not an engine guy at all. That's one reason the Deltahawk appealed to me-- the factory test platform was a Velocity, so I wouldn't have to engineer the firewall forward stuff.  30% improved fuel economy, half the moving parts, no ignition system, good torque at low rpms, smaller size, all motivated me to go with the Deltahawk diesel. But 5 years ago the price for the non-intercooled version was $18,000. Today the 200 hp version is $32,500. And you lose the size advantage when you add two or three radiators. So I've been considering other options.

Lycoming-type engines have improved a lot in the past 5 years. Dynamically balanced parts, improved lubrication, optimized air induction, and solid state ignition. And there's some healthy competition in the experimental Lycoming look-alike market. That Titan IOX-340 is rated 185 hp continuous, and has the size and weight and fuel economy of an IO-320. 

I'm probably still a year away from installing an engine, so I'll wait and see what's available next summer. I'm just glad I didn't get rid of my Lycoming engine mount yet.

Doug Holub
Standard top-door w/ electric nose lift, 50% done
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060703/6f964fb2/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list