REFLECTOR: Elevator Trim Spring

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Mon Jan 30 09:12:39 CST 2006


Morning John,

No, lets try again.

The objective is to move the actuator forward a bit which provides more up 
(elevator down) trim.  (That is if you have a problem with not enough "up" 
trim when in cruise configuration, only one person in front seats.  This 
solution allowed me to not only cruise without pushing forward on the stick, 
but also to trim for a 500 fpm descent with a slight reduction in power).

To move the actuator forward, you will need to cut the canard attach bracket 
so that the hole is gone.  Now drill a new hole that is 1/4" to 3/8" forward 
of where the old hole was.

By the way, the bracket shown in the new on-line manual is different from my 
1999 kit.  The new bracket (Long Bracket VAB-02) shown on page 10-8 of the 
online manuals is shorter than mine.  What ever bracket you have, the 
objective is to move the forward part of the actuator about 3/8" toward the 
nose of the plane.

Ronnie Brown

----- Original Message ----- 
From: <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
To: <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2006 10:03 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Elevator Trim Spring


> Ok.  Let's see if I got this.  You're talking about the bracket that
> attached the actuator
> to the canard?  And you shortened the bracket so you could move it aft?
> And then
> you drilled a new hole in to bracket and attached to the old aft hole in
> the canard?
> Did you drill a new forward hole in the canard for the other bolt?  How am
> I doing?
>
> John
>
> Ron Brown wrote:
>
>  John,
>
>  I had the same problem with my 173.
>
>  I cut the trim actuator front mounting bracket off at the front of the 
> old
>  bolt hole.
>
>  Then I drilled a new hole about 1/4" or 3/8" ahead of the old hole.
> Problem
>  fixed, and I still have plenty of up trim for take off.  Easy fix.
>
>  Ronnie
>
>  ----- Original Message -----
>  From: "John Dibble" <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
>  To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>  Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2006 3:11 PM
>  Subject: REFLECTOR: Elevator Trim Spring
>
>  > Flying solo, I run out of down trim at 155 IAS.  On the other hand I
>  > have plenty of up trim for TOL.  Can I make a wedge shim where the
>  > spring attaches to the elevator tube to shift the adjustment range to
>  > more down and less up, or do I simply have to add more glass to the
>  > spring to make it stiffer?
>  >
>  > John
>  >
>  > _______________________________________________
>  > To change your email address, visit
>  > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>  >
>  > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>  > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>  > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>  > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>  >
>
>  _______________________________________________
>  To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 



More information about the Reflector mailing list