REFLECTOR: Close Encounter

Chuck Jensen cjensen at dts9000.com
Mon Jan 23 06:57:28 CST 2006


I guess that's why they call it the 'big sky' but not an 'infinite sky'.
I'm sure the experience will sharpen your look out for a long time to
come.  When I did some rework on the Velo, I put in a Ryan TCAD for this
very reason.  What is really scary is all the planes that are close by
that we don't see.  We only see the close ones and only a fraction of
those.  The climbing and descending and pattern phases of flight are,
without a doubt, the most risky because we have to observe in 3-D
instead of a single plane (no pun intended).

Chuck Jensen

P.S.  An event like your's is why a change of undies should always be a
part of the survival kit.

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Sunday, January 22, 2006 10:38 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Close Encounter

I was flying from Wickenburg AZ to Grants NM yesterday heading almost 
due east.

Climbing out of 8300 ft just north of Phoenix I looked up to the right 
and there was a brand new Cessna 182 about 50 ft ahead and 100 ft above 
going north west!!

What an eye popping view that was.  The pilot was looking straight 
ahead, had a red shirt on and a set of Dave Clark's.  

No time to do anything but, thank god I hadn't used a 1/4 inch more of 
MAP in the climb!

Scott
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list