REFLECTOR: Paint question

Terry Miles terrence_miles at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 20 19:34:03 CST 2006


Thanks Al.  
 
Thanks to John T too.  It is Akzo Nobel I guess, sorry for the
misspelling...but they are just the wholesaler.  The base primer is a 2K
something, but I think we have different numbers after that, and
hardener often is just dry time issues.  My point was Sullivan paints
wrecked cars for insurance carriers, but that he and I could both run
over to A-N and make sure we had compatible stuff for the top coat,
since it is all their product line.    
 
It's a great deal I have going here.  We are across the street from the
airport in an industrial park, so we will just push it down the block to
the body shop!  And when we are all finished up with that we will push
it across the street, thru a hole in the fence and tuck into a hangar.
(The tower chief is building a Cozy.)  Don't get no better than this!  
 
Al, I am thinking that a light coat of anything that matches my primer
could possibly be enuf, so I told him probably only one coat there.  My
primer probably doesn't have any UV protect in it...so maybe two and two
like you suggested would be a good idea afterall.  My first thoughts
were since clear coat is pretty thin stuff anyway, it would help with
overall appearances and give me some durability in case  I got over
zealous rubbing off fried/dried bug smacks on the leading edge.  
 
Thanks, you guys.
Terry

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent: Friday, January 20, 2006 10:46 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Paint question



We've agreed to buy the paint

from Akel Nobel which should eliminate any product compatibility issues.

 

Here's my question.  Cars normally get 3 coats of clear coat.  Any

opinions out there on how many coats is enuf for an airplane?  I hate to

add unnec weight.

 

Thanks,

Terry

 

Terry;

 

I have no idea about Akel-Nobel (never heard of it and can't find it on
the web); but the PPG paints all use 2-3 coats base and 2 coats clear.
So I'd think 2 full coats clear should be fine.

 

I think it is a common misconception that the two-stage paints result in
more weight.  It is all about total thickness of the cured system.  With
the PPG I found that two base coats dried very thin (maybe 2-4 mils) and
the total with 2 full coats of clear was about 7-9 mils.  (I measured
some flakes off the adjacent vinyl fine-line tape.) IIRC, the
recommended total thickness for the single stage paints like Awl-grip
and Emron is similar.

 

FWIW,

 

Al

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060120/fc6cf0b5/attachment.htm


More information about the Reflector mailing list