REFLECTOR: Matco vs Cleveland

Kent Murley kent at orbital.aero
Fri Jan 13 00:45:50 CST 2006


I've heard some say that the Matcos provide better braking performance 
and I've heard more recently that the Clevelands do. I suspect each 
brand has had changes over the years and we've been comparing products 
that have been leapfrogging each other.

I have an XL-RG with Matcos. My home base has 5000 feet or runway (near 
sea level) so I haven't needed to push them often. I'd like to frequent 
a 2500 foot runway, though.

To me, performance _in a Velocity_ means (in this order):
-getting the job done without overheating the legs
-precision in steering at high speed (a wide activation zone so it's 
easier to keep one from gripping too much more than the other)
-minimizing landing roll-out
-finesse in steering at low speed (not jerky)
-minimizing brake dust (yes - I'm getting lazy)

The velocity parts web page calls the Clevelands an upgrade option. Is 
it an upgrade from today's Matcos or an upgrade from a version of Matcos 
previously provided with all kits? Or does the word upgrade mean another 
choice of equal performance, but with personal preference, is available 
if you choose to pay more?

I remember the discussion about rotor warping (brake dust building up on 
the three hot spots) on well used brakes - that was the Matco brakes, 
wasn't it?

I'm interested in everyone's opinions but also a historical lesson. 
Scott Baker - any insights?

Thank you,

Kent Murley
Tacoma Narrows, WA


More information about the Reflector mailing list