REFLECTOR: What would you do - not do?
Alex Balic
alex157 at pwhome.com
Tue Feb 28 20:17:41 CST 2006
For some tapes the strength will be the same- but the major benefit of
cutting on the boas is that at 45 deg. fiber orientation the fibers do not
cross the joint at 90 degrees, and so the bias tapes can easily form into a
fillet because the fiber bundles are being bent at only a percentage of the
fillet angle, and are able to better transfer loads across the joint.
Alex
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of John Dibble
Sent: Tuesday, February 28, 2006 6:49 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: What would you do - not do?
I like the pre-made fiberglass tapes that Aircraft Spruce sells. They are
not cut on
a 45 deg bias, but ( I hope I am not opening up too big a can of worms here)
I have
done the math and I believe the strength is the same no matter which way the
"grain"
is positioned.
John
Andrew Ellzey wrote:
> I found a cheep way to make a 96" long 1 1/2" diameter sanding tube. When
> you are building your canard you are told to sand the 1 1/2" radius on the
> rear of your canard where your elevators mount, with a 1 1/2 shipping tube
> or something suitable. I found that finding something 1 1/2" OD that was
> straight and didn't cost an arm and a leg was a tall order. What I
> discovered was that a fluorescent light bulb (5.95) was exactly 1 1/2" OD
> and about as straight as you can find. I attached my 80 grit sand paper
with
> double backed carpet tape. I know that this sounds fragile, but what I
have
> found is that the sandpaper helps to protect the bulb. I also have found
> that because it is so light, you have better control over how much foam
you
> are removing, helping you to find the high spots.
>
> Andy Ellzey
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list