REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Mystery

michalk michalk at awpi.com
Mon Feb 27 15:52:24 CST 2006


We use the exact same actuators on our vehicles.  There is a sliding 
contact that implements the auto-shutoff functionality.  I can see that 
over time without use, the electrical contact would be marginal.  The 
contacts are lubricated.  I would suggest a full scale movement before 
each flight to keep it working smoothly.

Ron Brown wrote:
> John,
> 
> I would suggest that you hook up a volt meter across the motor that you 
> can leave connected while you fly.  Then you will be able to determine 
> if the failure is in the motor - (voltage of plus or minus 12 volts but 
> motor does not move), or no voltage (problem is in the switch, wiring 
> connectors or relays).  The actuator is around $200 so you might want to 
> do some trouble shooting before you blame the motor.
> 
> Good luck (hopefully you find a bad switch or relay or loose 
> connection!!!!)
> Ronnie
> 
> ----- Original Message ----- From: "John Dibble" <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 3:34 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Mystery
> 
> 
>> Well, my pitch trim quit working again, my very next trip.  It worked
>> fine before during a 25 minute test, but seems to quit after a few
>> hours.  This time I was not pegged out on trim.  I decided to risk
>> making the problem worse by tapping the down trim.  Fortunately this
>> helped and the up trim was working again.  I think I'll replace the
>> motor.  Anyone using a motor different from the factory one?
>>
>> John
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> To change your email address, visit 
>> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
> 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list