REFLECTOR: What would you do - not do?
Chuck Harbert
c.harbert at comcast.net
Mon Feb 27 14:47:54 CST 2006
Steve, I didn't think to use Richard's idea of aluminum foil, but on complex
shapes, I did use very thin plastic (2-3 mil?) on the top (be careful or
you'll tear it) which will also conform. I cut the "plastic sandwich" with
big cheap shears from Harbor Freight. I didn't make my wings (Alan's), but I
used the sandwich system for most layups, incl triax.
Also, pls don't forget to remove the lower plastic (I did it once, but I
caught it).
Chuck H
From: Richard Riley <richard at riley.net>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: What would you do - not do?
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <7.0.1.0.0.20060226154836.01a57bf8 at riley.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed
At 03:18 PM 2/26/2006, you wrote:
Interesting. What kind of layup did you use this for? You wouldn't use
>for something like say the wing skins would you? Seems like it'd have
>issues with getting the triax fibers straight but what do I know.
I used it mostly for BID tapes, but I took it one step further.
Start out with a sheet of HDPE on your table, 1/8" thick. The
plastics stores sell this as a cutting surface.
Put down a layer of 4-6 mil plastic. Lay out your fiberglass on it,
dry, 2 or 3 plies at a time. Wet it out with a squeegee and grooved roller
Cover with a sheet of aluminum foil. Cut strips the right size and
shape with an Olfa cutter. Pick up your tape sandwich, peel off the
plastic and leave the aluminum foil.
Brush the corner where you're putting the tape with epoxy, fillet
with micro. Put the tape in place. Wet your gloved finger with a
little epoxy, rub the aluminum foil (the wet epoxy makes your finger
slippery. If you're going around a complex curve, the foil will
wrinkle to take on the right shape, the glass will distort underneath it.
Peel the foil off, stipple with a brush where needed.
More information about the Reflector
mailing list