REFLECTOR: N4PE "The Ape" First Start

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Mon Feb 27 11:42:41 CST 2006


Can't you get whatever static rpm you want by adjusting the fine pitch limit?

John

Laurence Coen wrote:

> Brian,
>
> Did you mean to say the MAP was 28" not 28 PSI?  My carbureted Slick mag
> Franklin/IVO turns 2500 RPM static.
>
> Larry Coen
> N136LC
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Douglas Holub" <doug.holub at comcast.net>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Monday, February 27, 2006 8:23 AM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: N4PE "The Ape" First Start
>
> > Congratulations Brian!
> > ----- Original Message -----
> > From: "Brian Michalk" <michalk at awpi.com>
> > To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> > Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 11:23 PM
> > Subject: REFLECTOR: N4PE "The Ape" First Start
> >
> >
> >> Ten years ago, on Valentines day our kit arrived.  Today we had the first
> >> engine start.
> >>
> >> I can now say I'm the proud owner of a running Franklin/IVO combination.
> >> I've got two electronic fuel injection systems, electronic ignition, and
> >> a magneto.  It's turbocharged with intercoolers.  I fabricated the
> >> stainless steel intake and exhaust manifold from scratch since there were
> >> no other working examples to copy.  I worked out the math on the
> >> injectors, turbo, fuel pumps, and all of the components that are simply
> >> not available in a package.  I had a lot of concerns over whether it
> >> would work or not.  I watched other people's failures and tried not to
> >> make the same mistakes.
> >>
> >> I am very pleased that the large turbo breathes quite well with the open
> >> waste gate.  In fine pitch, I am able to make 2250 RPM.  Deeter's
> >> Franklin will do 2400RPM static.  The MAP at 2250 was 28PSI.  I
> >> calculated I would lose a little less than 1PSI across the intercoolers,
> >> and didn't know what the drop would be for the turbo.
> >>
> >> The engine starts like a dream on the Autronic electronic engine
> >> management system.  I did have some problems though.  I completely messed
> >> up the magneto wiring.  I have no idea how I did it, but once we got that
> >> problem sorted out, the engine ran like a top.  I am leaking oil out the
> >> turbo, and need to look at the scavenge pump.  I might have it hooked up
> >> backwards.  During the high power runs we needed to tweak the mixture
> >> because it was originally too lean for the stock setting. The power
> >> control is a single knob affair.  The Autronic calculates all of the
> >> mixtures for operation.
> >>
> >> I installed a Linksys router in the airplane that has been hacked to run
> >> Linux.  We logged the engine data to a laptop via the wireless
> >> connection. For the first flight we intend to get telemetry via 802.11,
> >> and maybe even put a webcam on board.
> >> _______________________________________________
> >> To change your email address, visit
> >> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >>
> >> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> >> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> >> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> >> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >>
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list