REFLECTOR: N4PE "The Ape" First Start

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sun Feb 26 22:06:37 CST 2006


Brian,

Wow, sounds like a great success.

You give me hope.  I  wishful my conversion of a TSIO520 with a fixed 
pitched Catto,  to fit in my STD RG cowl, goes as well....

Keep us informed of the progress... Do you have temp probes on that 
induction system to measure intercooler effectiveness?

Scott
> -----Original Message-----
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Brian Michalk
> Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2006 11:23 PM
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> Subject: REFLECTOR: N4PE "The Ape" First Start
>
> Ten years ago, on Valentines day our kit arrived.  Today we had the 
> first engine start.
>
> I can now say I'm the proud owner of a running Franklin/IVO combination.
> I've got two electronic fuel injection systems, electronic ignition, and
>
> a magneto.  It's turbocharged with intercoolers.  I fabricated the 
> stainless steel intake and exhaust manifold from scratch since there 
> were no other working examples to copy.  I worked out the math on the 
> injectors, turbo, fuel pumps, and all of the components that are simply 
> not available in a package.  I had a lot of concerns over whether it 
> would work or not.  I watched other people's failures and tried not to 
> make the same mistakes.
>
> I am very pleased that the large turbo breathes quite well with the open
>
> waste gate.  In fine pitch, I am able to make 2250 RPM.  Deeter's 
> Franklin will do 2400RPM static.  The MAP at 2250 was 28PSI.  I 
> calculated I would lose a little less than 1PSI across the intercoolers,
>
> and didn't know what the drop would be for the turbo.
>
> The engine starts like a dream on the Autronic electronic engine 
> management system.  I did have some problems though.  I completely 
> messed up the magneto wiring.  I have no idea how I did it, but once we 
> got that problem sorted out, the engine ran like a top.  I am leaking 
> oil out the turbo, and need to look at the scavenge pump.  I might have 
> it hooked up backwards.  During the high power runs we needed to tweak 
> the mixture because it was originally too lean for the stock setting. 
> The power control is a single knob affair.  The Autronic calculates all 
> of the mixtures for operation.
>
> I installed a Linksys router in the airplane that has been hacked to run
>
> Linux.  We logged the engine data to a laptop via the wireless 
> connection.  For the first flight we intend to get telemetry via 802.11,
>
> and maybe even put a webcam on board.
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>   


More information about the Reflector mailing list