REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Mystery

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Thu Feb 16 23:15:30 CST 2006


Guys, when I originally had the very heavy engine (360 hp 480 # turbo 
rotary) in the backend, I couldn't get the plane to level off at high speed 
with full up deflection due to an aft cg in my std RG. This sounds similar 
to John's problem, but I don't know his plane's details. Now, with the 200hp 
320# IO-360, I get about a 1/2" up at 185 kts. It has a gentle stall (more 
of a mush).

As I  understand it, the canard angle of attack makes enough lift at high 
speed to make the nose rise unless you trim it down, or you have a lot of 
weight in the nose. You  really don't want to change very much from the 
factory canard incidence angle or it might not stall first, which is not 
good.

Chuck H


Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 16:59:49 -0800
From: "Al Gietzen" <ALVentures at cox.net>
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Mystery
To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"
<reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <000e01c6335d$73f4b570$6400a8c0 at BigAl>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Look for maybe 0.5" up elevator during fast cruise.

SB



Scott;



I'd think this would be pretty dependant on speed, elevation, and weight of
the pilot.  Can you be a bit more specific?



Thanks,



Al




More information about the Reflector mailing list