REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Mystery

Rene Dugas dugasd at bellsouth.net
Thu Feb 16 15:55:38 CST 2006


I would also check to be sure the S-tec servo is not going over center
with the connector rod to the elevator torque tube and locking your
elevator mobility.  It can happen.
Rene'

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of John Dibble
Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 1:17 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Mystery

Scott,
Thanks.  That helps a lot.  I was concerned about pitch stability
because sometimes my
S-TEC ap starts cycling, so I don't want to make it worse.  But if
having the strainer
inverted provides the same stability, then no problem.
Any easy way to remove the strainer without incurring a lot of cosmetic
work?

John

Scott Baker wrote:

> Hello John,
> Removing the sparrow strainer will cause the pitch control motion to
become
> more sensitive - but not to the point of instability.
> I'm not sure of the aircraft's behavior if the sparrow strainer were
> reversed - thinking about it, the upward lifting of the strainer will
lend
> itself to favor nose pitch down - which left unchecked will result in
> greater air speed - which gives more power to the sparrow strainer -
which
> causes the nose to pitch down some more --- I suppose at some point,
the
> pitch spring will halt this cycle of events.
> SB
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "John Dibble" <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Sent: Thursday, February 16, 2006 1:08 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Mystery
>
> > Steve,
> > I have one installed.  I need to check, but I believe it wroks
against the
> spring, so
> > I guess I need to reverse it.  How much work is involved to do that?
> >
> > Scott B - I believe you mentioned that reversing the strainer could
cause
> > instability.  How can I flight test for this?
> >
> > In the meantime, I plan to add 20lb to the nose, so I won't have to
use
> the full trim
> > adjustment at cruise.
> >
> > John
> >
> >
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list