REFLECTOR: Pitch Trim Mystery

John Dibble aminetech at bluefrog.com
Wed Feb 15 10:45:41 CST 2006


Seems like when the Reflector has a what-if discussion, soon after someone has to go
out and experience it.  I guess the pitch trim failure had my name on it.  Last night
I flew 1.7 hrs at 180 kn with the pitch trim pegged at down trim.  I cut power just
enough to descend at 500 fpm and kept the trim pegged.  At 5 miles out I slowed to get
set up for landing and noticed the pitch up trim wasn't working.  Fortunately I've
flown at night enough, so that that didn't add much to the problem.  I had a 5000 ft
runway and a direct 10kn headwind which was a good thing.  Didn't know how long my arm
would hold out so I took the fastest way in and kept my speed up to 90kn.  Wasn't sure
if I could hold it off at 70.  The landing was a little rough, but I've done worse.
Today I checked it out and the trim is working fine.  Can anyone tell me what
happened?  I have fuses and no CBs so it wasn't that.

John



More information about the Reflector mailing list