REFLECTOR: structural adhesive in low temperature
Rene Dugas
dugasd at bellsouth.net
Mon Feb 13 17:33:37 CST 2006
I agree with heat and tents but want to say be very careful about
leaving your project with heat. Please recall that the left over epoxy
can "therm" and catch fire. This extra debris around your project is
increased risk. A friend recently burned up his entire AEROCOMP plane
project and the detached garage after leaving it only 15 minutes. He is
a careful Northwest Corporate pilot so not a clutz like me. The Halogen
lamp racks can migrate and move against your project causing them to
melt. (My original door.) I only left it for 30 minutes to answer a
phone call or two. Another time I had locked the lights in place with
clamps but apparently I moved another piece of material and pulled on
the cord causing it to "migrate" too near my project. Winter is a
trying time so be careful and proactive.
Rene'
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Chuck Harbert
Sent: Monday, February 13, 2006 3:23 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: structural adhesive in low temperature
Grigore, I also used several types of lamp (halogen, heat, incandescent)
to
keep the piece warm enough to have it "go off". I like the double 500W
halogen on the adjustable stand, but even 100W light globes can work on
small layups. When necessary I erected "tents" using cargo blankets with
pieces of aluminum or wood to contain the heat. Before I would leave for
the
day/night, I would check under the tent to see that I had the right temp
for
curing. The next day, almost all of my layups would be hard. The cargo
blankets (from moving companies-Uhaul, Penske, etc.) won't burn (I
know).
I'm from the NW, and many times the outside temp was below freezing when
I
left the hangar. Good luck.
Chuck H
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list