REFLECTOR: DH engine vs. Velocity Beauty

Richard J. Gentil richard at naples-air-center.com
Mon Feb 13 07:07:15 CST 2006


Steve,

I was looking at the 200hp DH engine but I ended up opting for the 
IO-390-X with the Klaus' LSE Dual Plasma III CDI with Hall Effect Module.

My two reasons where:

   1. Proven design with a long history.
   2. A couple of hundred hours less construction time vs the DH.

Richard

Steven Oakley wrote:

>I am also interested in a DH engine, it does occur to me that the model of
>velocity they are using for testing has no NACA scoops on the top and was
>possibly an older velocity that had a different Engine airflow system. I am
>hoping that with the proposed "velocity produced firewall kit" that a way of
>using the NACA scoops on the top of the fuselage would be found that would
>give sufficient cooling, also that engine alternatives will be available to
>reduce the need for cowl mods.
>
>Anyhow I hope they have thought about this, bat as an alternative I could go
>for the superior XP360 or the IO-390X or even something else, who knows what
>will hit the streets in the next 3 or so years.
>
>Steve.  
>
>-----Original Message-----
>From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
>Behalf Of Keith Hallsten
>Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 9:49 PM
>To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
>Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: DH engine vs. Velocity Beauty
>
>The DeltaHawk "A"-series or "inverted V" will fit in the standard cowl
>designed for an IO-360.  That will take care of the top cowl modification.
>However, it is not yet available.  In all likelihood, this will be an option
>by the time you need an engine.
>
>The consideration of the cooling scoops is a tougher problem.  It's in the
>very nature of compression-ignition engines that they run hotter and have
>more significant cooling requirements.  See, for example, the air intake for
>the C-182 STC installation of the SMA SR305-230 turbo-diesel.  It's HUGE.
>>From what I know, you will need a big scoop to keep a diesel happy.  
>  
>
>>(The
>>    
>>
>original SMA was liquidated last year after losing $millions$ trying to
>solve the technical and marketing problems of putting their turbo-diesel
>into planes.  The engine is coming back to market under SAFRAN Group, see
>www.smaengines.com.  So far, it looks like DeltaHawk is having better luck!)
>
>Keith Hallsten
>
>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>  
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060213/42fd7c59/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list