REFLECTOR: New velocity builder setting up shop.
Alex Balic
alex157 at pwhome.com
Wed Feb 1 13:46:59 CST 2006
Air compressor is a MUST have as far as I am concerned- because you will
need it to run your favorite tools. My selections are:
1. Air body Saw- little reciprocating hacksaw that cuts fiberglass like a
laser, cuts metal pretty good too
2. 90 degree die grinder with 2" and 3" quick replace sanding disks- I
usually use the 36 grit, but to start out try 60 or 100. try to find one
with a rubber jacket (Campbell hausfield has one) because when it is cool
outside, and you are running it for a while, it gets REALLY cold.
3. Epoxy pump (kind of an "of course" item)
4. Air powered drill- you can get into small spaces with it, and it has a
lot of power for it's size.
5. When you get into the sanding of the micro you should have an air powered
DA sander - 6" pad, and I also have an in-line sander that supplements the
huge hand-powered one that you need to get really smooth wings.
As far as the oil-less design- probably would be a good idea, although none
of mine are- the air tools need oil so looking for oil free air is sort of a
waste of time until you get to painting then you can install a filter.
I got most of my tools through harbor freight- have had the stuff working
for years so quality is definitely good enough- you can get the sanding pads
and disks from McMaster Carr.
Also- get plenty of gloves- I prefer the looser-fitting vinyl ones to the
latex- not allergic or anything, just like that some air can get in there-
the latex will fill up with sweat pretty fast. And there is some stuff
called "invisible gloves" you can get it from most auto supply houses- it is
a cream that you rub on like hand lotion- blocks most of the glass fibers
from entering your skin- washes off easily- I usually run it up on my
forearms too- I use it when I am sanding, but stay with the gloves when
using wet epoxy, although I have heard that you can work with the epoxy with
just the invisible gloves on also.
Alex
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of steven-oakley at comcast.net
Sent: Wednesday, February 01, 2006 12:27 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: REFLECTOR: New velocity builder setting up shop.
Hi,
My Velocity SEFG (fast build) was delivered just before Xmas, I am planning
to commence building in April (winter in Colorado is not the best time to
build). So it is time to setup and get a few essentials, one "nice to have
item" seems to be a compressor, so I have been looking at the following
link.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00004Z06E/103-6466385-2248646?%5Fencoding=
UTF8&v=glance&n=228013
Is this a good option to power deie grinders, drills, saws etc or would I be
better getting a slightly higeher (two stage oiled) unit?
Is Oiless the best choice etc?
Any thoughts, commenst from people with more experience would be welcomed.
Thanks.
Steve.
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list