REFLECTOR: Door guides

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Fri Dec 29 17:42:33 CST 2006


Kevin, 

What I did was I added a piece of Triax to the upper horizontal inner door 
stiffener and the aft stiffener. This went from the window side edge around and 
onto the door skin (inner side).  I put another ply of Fine Bid over the area 
from just in front of the aft hinge... around the rear corner of the door.. 
and down to where the lift attach point is on the door. 

I got my gas springs from SPD also, but I opted for a lower pressure. (buy 
them on line... you get them for a lot less than phone in orders).  That is 
probably why "Deception Kevin" ended up getting full travel out of the door. I 
think mine have about half of the pressure his do.. and are a little smaller. 
(the stock ones I think had about 60 Lbs. of pressure). They are tucked in nicely 
to the beam and out of the way, but like I said before.. at some sacrifice to 
upward door travel. 

I did try lots of arrangements on attaching the strut. I tried getting the 
ones I had to hold the door down once I was past a certain closure point on the 
door... and push it open on the other swing... but the struts I bought didn't 
have enough throw. I do recall that in this arrangement.. they would kick out 
the lower front corner of the door... and there wasn't an easy or obvious way 
to address the issue.  Different struts would change everything IM sure. 


Hope that helps.  

 Kurt Winker

In a message dated 12/26/2006 1:43:34 PM Mountain Standard Time, 
flykb at verizon.net writes:
How did you guys stiffen the top of the doors?

Thanks,
Kevin

At 12:42 PM 12/26/2006, you wrote:

I too took Kurt's advice and stiffened the top of the doors with additional 
glass. I also use a gas spring that's only 40 lbs of pressure and they hold the 
doors up fine. I believe that I'm getting full extension with these springs 
(haven't noticed other Velocitys doors openning more than mine).
 
Here is the model number of the springs I use - just ordered new ones as they 
only last about 3-4 years before they can't hold the door up when taxiing.
Ordered from www. spdhardware.com/
SPD-GSNI-5300-40
$12.76 each
 
Regards,
 
Kevin

Kevin, 


From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On 
Behalf Of nmflyer1 at aol.com
Sent: Tuesday, December 26, 2006 10:46 AM
To: amillin at kal-soft.com; reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Door guides

 I stiffened up the upper part of my doors, and changed to a different 
(softer) gas spring arrangement. I have had mine sitting with and without the engine 
on, and have had no deformity over time. (I just hated seeing beautiful 
velocities with warped doors on a hot ramp).  The down side is that my doors open 
about 5" less than stock velocities. Not a problem for me since Im short... 
besides... ducking is easy. 
 
The other thing I noticed was that the door strake piece would rub against 
the fuselage attached strake piece. I ended up putting a piece of UHMD plastic 
on the fixed portion. This stuff is very slick, and a whiteish opaque color. 
Works great. Now the door clides gently along that piece without chipping 
things. 
 
 
-----Original Message-----
From: amillin at kal-soft.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Sent: Tue, 26 Dec 2006 9:58 AM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Door guides
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20061229/dab81d68/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list