REFLECTOR: Flutter and a question for Scott Baker

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Sat Dec 23 13:40:11 CST 2006


I'm almost certain(but I've been wrong before!) that Scott Baker said 
that VNE had been set mainly testing and not structural analysis in 
regards to dynamic or flutter characteristics. 

I've flight tested my Velocity to 220 KIAS at 10,000 ft., solid as a 
rock.  I did it starting at about 170 KIAS and inching up in 5 knot 
increments. at every increment I jabbed the elevators, ailerons and 
rudders with power on and power reduced.  It was stressful but I thought 
it was needed..

I have no idea what the real limit is. I'm sure its probably a little 
different for each airframe.  With my new engine I had planned on 
testing to at least what I had before, possibly increasing the altitude 
to 16,000 or 18,000 ft.

A question for Scott Baker,  the factory is building The Rocket Racing 
League airframes, using XL's as the basis.  They are obviously going to 
go "REAL FAST!!!""  Are you guys doing any additional structural changes 
for flutter?  If so can you tell us what?

Scott


-- 

-
    Truth : the most deadly weapon ever discovered by humanity. Capable of destroying entire perceptual sets, cultures, and realities. Outlawed by all governments everywhere. Possession is normally punishable by death.

    Richard Childers 



More information about the Reflector mailing list