REFLECTOR: Canard - good news

gattenby at tulsaconnect.com gattenby at tulsaconnect.com
Fri Dec 22 11:35:10 CST 2006


Those numbers are making me rethink that roatory thing 
again...

Noel

On Fri, 22 Dec 2006 09:24:29 -0700
  Scott Derrick <scott at tnstaafl.net> wrote:
>           Wow , thats excellent Al.  How much horse 
>power is pushing you along at 210 KTAS?
> 
> Scott
> 
> Al Gietzen wrote:                    
> You may recall from a few months back my concerns about 
>too much lift (and too high a stall speed) on my Wingco 
>canard.  I had installed shims on the torsion tabs to 
>reduce the incidence by about &frac34; of a degree (I 
>thought); and found that it didn&#8217;t help much.  The 
>folks at the factory said I should not reduce it more 
>than a degree, and suggested installing VGs on the wing. 
>  
>    
> I installed the VGs over the span in front of the 
>ailerons, and then double checked the canard incidence. 
> Turned out that I had only reduced it by about &frac12; 
>a degree.  So with some more grinding and adjusting I 
>further reduced the incidence to about 1 degree (which 
>happens to be quite close to two stir stick thicknesses 
>under the incidence gauge at the leading edge, as 
>suggested by Scott Swing).  The plane now handles better, 
>stalls at 68-70 knots, and flies at 195 KIAS (210 KTAS) 
>with the elevator trailing edge about &frac34; to 
>1&#8221; up and some trim to spare (CG about middle of 
>the box).     
>    
> I&#8217;m happy!  This is now a very nice handling 
>airplane.   
>    
> Happy Holidays to all! 
>       _______________________________________________ To 
>change your email address, visit 
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector  Visit the 
>gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery user:pw = 
>tvbf:jamaicangoose Check new archives: 
>www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: 
>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html  
> --   -     The most effectual engines for [pacifying a 
>nation] are the public papers... [A despotic] government 
>always [keeps] a kind of standing army of newswriters 
>who, without any regard to truth or to what should be 
>like truth, [invent] and put into the papers whatever 
>might serve the ministers.      Thomas Jefferson to G. K. 
>van Hogendorp     Oct. 13, 1785. (*) ME 5:181, Papers 
>8:632     



More information about the Reflector mailing list