REFLECTOR: Reflector Digest, Vol 31, Issue 46

matt mbuc310 at cox.net
Sun Dec 17 18:55:30 CST 2006


Kurt, I must ask, what engine are you planning on using!!!
Matt

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of reflector-request at tvbf.org
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 5:32 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Reflector Digest, Vol 31, Issue 46


Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
	reflector at tvbf.org

To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
	http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
	reflector-request at tvbf.org

You can reach the person managing the list at
	reflector-owner at tvbf.org

When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."


Today's Topics:

   1. Re:  Prop (NMFlyer1 at aol.com)
   2. Re:  Running LOP (Dave Philipsen)
   3. Re:  Running LOP (Andrew Ellzey)
   4. Re:  Running LOP (Sid Knox)
   5.  Elite Seat Bracket and Speed Brake (Kevin Baker)
   6. Re:  Running LOP (John Dibble)
   7. Re:  [SPAM]  Elite Seat Bracket and Speed Brake (Scott Baker)
   8. Re:  Running LOP (Dave Philipsen)
   9. Re:  Elite Seat Bracket and Speed Brake (Kevin Baker)


----------------------------------------------------------------------

Message: 1
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:10:01 EST
From: NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Prop
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Message-ID: <cd1.6017b22.32b60f09 at aol.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"

Larry,

You are quite right, but I have not yet started flying. So... I had to start
somewhere. Since my situation is quite a bit different from a direct drive
aircraft engine setup, Think I'll be just fine.

My (self imposed) max RPM is 5000 at the engine, and that will only be used
occasionally.
That RPM gives the prop speed of 2940.  My whole requirement was to find out
if I could use my takeoff RPM/Power without breaking the speed of sound. I
think I have that requirement.

My cruise RPM will be quite different, about 3400-3700 Engine RPM (my best
guess at this point). That would give me a prop RPM of about 2000-2300 at
the
prop. Since I have a pitch range of 65-105, I can crank in a lot of bite,
and
use the huge amount of torque I have.

I will use your numbers to double check things, and I appreciate the extra
info!
Always fun to see how close paper numbers get to reality.

Onward.   Kurt
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20061216/11c23670/
attachment.html

------------------------------

Message: 2
Date: Sat, 16 Dec 2006 22:27:51 -0600
From: Dave Philipsen <velocity at davebiz.com>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Running LOP
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <4584C747.4080208 at davebiz.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

Andy,

Even though your question was directed to Steve, I thought I might jump
in and give you some information I have learned.  I've communicated via
email with a guy who owns a Cessna Cardinal which has a Lyc. IO-360
engine.  He claims that he has tuned his injectors by finding the first
cylinder to peak (when leaning) and then removing the injector and
"worrying" the orifice open just a little bit with a miniature drill
bit.  He also mentioned that he has tweaked his injectors to the point
where he has a maximum of 0.3 gph difference between the richest and the
leanest and thinks if he tried he could get it down to 0.2 gph or less.
I think the orifice size would put you in the range of a #69, 70, or 71
drill and you apparently have to be very careful that you don't ream out
too much.  He said he went overboard on one of the injectors and had to
end up buying a brand new one from Lycoming and starting over.

I've had my injectors out and I experimented with some miniature drill
bits just to see how they fit without actually drilling the orifice.  In
doing so, I did find out that some of the injectors fit the drill bit
snugly as I slid it in and others had notably more "play" indicating
that they weren't all *exactly* the same size.  I would imagine the
difference was less than .001 inch though.

I'm in the middle of an engine annual right now and also fitting a Dynon
EFIS to my Velocity.  But as soon as I get the Dynon wired to the CHTs
and EGTs I plan on doing the same thing and tuning the injectors to
attempt to get them all to peak at very near the same time.  This should
allow the engine to run smoothly on the lean side of peak.  Right now, I
can run LOP with just a little roughness that is tolerable.




Andrew Ellzey wrote:
> Steve,
>
> Can you elaborate on how you are tuning your injectors?
>
> Andy Ellzey
>

--
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD-FG
N83DP




------------------------------

Message: 3
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 03:23:33 -0600
From: "Andrew Ellzey" <ajlz72756 at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Running LOP
To: <velocity at davebiz.com>,	"Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders
	list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <001701c721bd$07fc0180$754210ac at DASINC>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
	reply-type=original

Thanks Steve and Dave for your input. I suspected that a person could use
numbered drills to adjust the orifice size but wanted someone else to chime
in before I opened my mouth. It is interesting to hear that the Gami
injectors aren't any different than the Lycoming injectors. I have moved
lycoming injectors around to help balance cht and egt temperatures before,
but always stopped short of opening up the orifices.

Andy


----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Philipsen" <velocity at davebiz.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 16, 2006 10:27 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Running LOP


> Andy,
>
> Even though your question was directed to Steve, I thought I might jump
> in and give you some information I have learned.  I've communicated via
> email with a guy who owns a Cessna Cardinal which has a Lyc. IO-360
> engine.  He claims that he has tuned his injectors by finding the first
> cylinder to peak (when leaning) and then removing the injector and
> "worrying" the orifice open just a little bit with a miniature drill
> bit.  He also mentioned that he has tweaked his injectors to the point
> where he has a maximum of 0.3 gph difference between the richest and the
> leanest and thinks if he tried he could get it down to 0.2 gph or less.
> I think the orifice size would put you in the range of a #69, 70, or 71
> drill and you apparently have to be very careful that you don't ream out
> too much.  He said he went overboard on one of the injectors and had to
> end up buying a brand new one from Lycoming and starting over.
>
> I've had my injectors out and I experimented with some miniature drill
> bits just to see how they fit without actually drilling the orifice.  In
> doing so, I did find out that some of the injectors fit the drill bit
> snugly as I slid it in and others had notably more "play" indicating
> that they weren't all *exactly* the same size.  I would imagine the
> difference was less than .001 inch though.
>
> I'm in the middle of an engine annual right now and also fitting a Dynon
> EFIS to my Velocity.  But as soon as I get the Dynon wired to the CHTs
> and EGTs I plan on doing the same thing and tuning the injectors to
> attempt to get them all to peak at very near the same time.  This should
> allow the engine to run smoothly on the lean side of peak.  Right now, I
> can run LOP with just a little roughness that is tolerable.
>
>
>
>
> Andrew Ellzey wrote:
>> Steve,
>>
>> Can you elaborate on how you are tuning your injectors?
>>
>> Andy Ellzey
>>
>
> --
> Dave Philipsen
> Velocity STD-FG
> N83DP
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>



------------------------------

Message: 4
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 09:14:44 -0600
From: "Sid Knox" <sbjknox at earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Running LOP
To: <velocity at davebiz.com>,	"Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders
	list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <012c01c721ee$17716930$66d58c41 at texastornado>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
	reply-type=original

When I modified my injectors, I used one of those small, round file-like
tools (I don't know the official name) that are used for cleaning the tips
of an Oxy-Accl torch.
I had not thought of using small drill bits ( I have a bunch of small
carbide printed circuit board drills) but it sounds like they will do a good
job also.
The first injector I opened-up, being cautious and not wanting to take out
too much, I took a few light strokes and collected the tiny filings on a
piece of paper so that I could see how much brass I was removing and how
aggrssively I could safely wield the "file".  Then, make a flow measurement
on the flow-bench.  Repeat until I had the flow that I had calculated I
needed for that particular injector.  Then, re-assemble, fly, take data, and
repeat as required for all three injectors.  Three, because one of the four
will be the "reference" injector.... the one that is running the richest and
therefore need not have its orfice enlarged ... unless I screw-up and go too
far with one of the others.  Then it becomes the reference and the other
three have to be re-done.  Fortunately, I did not have that happen.

Not a difficult process but quite  tedious ... especially the removal and
replacement of the cowling... but well worth the effort to be able to run
cool and clean and *economical*...  at 50 or 60 deg F  LOP.

Sid Knox
Oklahoma

Velocity  173 RG  N199RS
Starduster  N666SK
KR2         N24TC
W7QJQ


----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Philipsen" <velocity at davebiz.com>
> I've had my injectors out and I experimented with some miniature drill
> bits just to see how they fit without actually drilling the orifice.  In
> doing so, I did find out that some of the injectors fit the drill bit
> snugly as I slid it in and others had notably more "play" indicating
> that they weren't all *exactly* the same size.  I would imagine the
> difference was less than .001 inch though.




------------------------------

Message: 5
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 10:42:53 -0600
From: Kevin Baker <flykb at verizon.net>
Subject: REFLECTOR: Elite Seat Bracket and Speed Brake
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <0JAF0025HFRI5L4F at vms048.mailsrvcs.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

Hi All,
I have the speed brake in (Elite Std RG) and was wondering if anyone
had any wisdom (potential problems) with putting in the Elite Front
seat rails. I thought there was something about the seat rail hard
point being in the area of where the speed brake is.??

Merry Christmas,
Thanks,
Kevin Baker



------------------------------

Message: 6
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 12:52:29 -0600
From: John Dibble <aminetech at bluefrog.com>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Running LOP
To: velocity at davebiz.com,	Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
	<reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <458591ED.9A3A51CB at bluefrog.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii

This discussion has been great and very helpful.

Dave,
Can you describe what the roughness feels like.  Is it a vibration, or more
like a
buzz?  Sometimes I feel a buzz, which is visable on my lcd screens, but
don't know if
it is significant or not.
John

Dave Philipsen wrote:

> This should
> allow the engine to run smoothly on the lean side of peak.  Right now, I
> can run LOP with just a little roughness that is tolerable.



------------------------------

Message: 7
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 14:54:27 -0500
From: "Scott Baker" <sbakr at comcast.net>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: [SPAM]  Elite Seat Bracket and Speed Brake
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <000a01c72215$2ba3a130$0401a8c0 at DADDESKTOP>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
	reply-type=original

Kevin,
The installation calls for a small metal plate that gives support the the
rear-inboard seat rail attach points for both the pilot and copilot seats.
It measures about 3/16" thick x 3 x roughly 9" long.  The plate sits on the
floor is situated left-to-right.  The middle portion of the plate resides
inside the keel.  The plate is secured to the keep with an "L" shape
bracket.  If you don't have a plate of this approximate dimension, we will
send one.
Best regards,
Scott B.


----- Original Message -----
From: "Kevin Baker" <flykb at verizon.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 11:42 AM
Subject: [SPAM] REFLECTOR: Elite Seat Bracket and Speed Brake


> Hi All,
> I have the speed brake in (Elite Std RG) and was wondering if anyone
> had any wisdom (potential problems) with putting in the Elite Front
> seat rails. I thought there was something about the seat rail hard
> point being in the area of where the speed brake is.??
>
> Merry Christmas,
> Thanks,
> Kevin Baker
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



------------------------------

Message: 8
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 16:36:02 -0600
From: Dave Philipsen <velocity at davebiz.com>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Running LOP
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>,
	aminetech at bluefrog.com
Message-ID: <4585C652.9000302 at davebiz.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed

The roughness in my plane is definitely a vibration albeit a slight
one.  I'm not sure how you would define a buzz but if you're saying it's
visible on your LCD screen (meaning you can detect the roughness
visually because the visual image isn't stable), I might call that
vibration.  I guess it's a subjective call.



John Dibble wrote:
> This discussion has been great and very helpful.
>
> Dave,
> Can you describe what the roughness feels like.  Is it a vibration, or
more like a
> buzz?  Sometimes I feel a buzz, which is visable on my lcd screens, but
don't know if
> it is significant or not.
> John
>
> Dave Philipsen wrote:
>
>
>> This should
>> allow the engine to run smoothly on the lean side of peak.  Right now, I
>> can run LOP with just a little roughness that is tolerable.
>>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>

--
Dave Philipsen
Velocity STD-FG
N83DP




------------------------------

Message: 9
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:31:50 -0600
From: Kevin Baker <flykb at verizon.net>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Elite Seat Bracket and Speed Brake
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <0JAG00BXK1H2XC96 at vms040.mailsrvcs.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=us-ascii; format=flowed

Thanks Scott - You guys really are the BEST !!

I'll give you a call on Monday.


At 01:54 PM 12/17/2006, you wrote:
>Kevin,
>The installation calls for a small metal plate that gives support the the
>rear-inboard seat rail attach points for both the pilot and copilot seats.
>It measures about 3/16" thick x 3 x roughly 9" long.  The plate sits on the
>floor is situated left-to-right.  The middle portion of the plate resides
>inside the keel.  The plate is secured to the keep with an "L" shape
>bracket.  If you don't have a plate of this approximate dimension, we will
>send one.
>Best regards,
>Scott B.
>
>
>----- Original Message -----
>From: "Kevin Baker" <flykb at verizon.net>
>To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>Sent: Sunday, December 17, 2006 11:42 AM
>Subject: [SPAM] REFLECTOR: Elite Seat Bracket and Speed Brake
>
>
> > Hi All,
> > I have the speed brake in (Elite Std RG) and was wondering if anyone
> > had any wisdom (potential problems) with putting in the Elite Front
> > seat rails. I thought there was something about the seat rail hard
> > point being in the area of where the speed brake is.??
> >
> > Merry Christmas,
> > Thanks,
> > Kevin Baker
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Visit the gallery!  tvbf:jamaicangoose

End of Reflector Digest, Vol 31, Issue 46
*****************************************

__________ NOD32 1924 (20061215) Information __________

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
http://www.eset.com




More information about the Reflector mailing list