REFLECTOR: Finish work on the doors
Mike Dawson
medawson250 at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 1 11:52:12 CST 2006
My brother and I must have spent 200 hrs just on the
doors. We have changed gas springs, radius and hinge
settings. We even went so far as to bore out the
co-pilot door hinges, hone them, then press to fit a
hinge pin just to tighten up the slop.
Now I can safely say they both fit....sorta.
Never the less "a builders moment". Nice article Andy!
Yours in building,
Mike Dawson
--- Andy Millin <amillin at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Terry,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> Where did you find the 3m sanding block?
>
> Andy
>
> _____
>
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Terry Miles
> Sent: Friday, December 01, 2006 8:56 AM
> To: amillin at sbcglobal.net; Velocity Aircraft Owners
> and Builders list
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Finish work on the doors
>
>
> Andy,
> You probably already decided on this door issue by
> now. Sorry, I was off
> line for a two weeks or I would have jumpped in on
> this. My experience, as
> confirmed by MC of Hangar 18 is that the door itself
> flexes when it is off
> or on the airplane, and the fuselage moves too
> depending wings on/wings off
> and further if on the wheels or up on wing
> jacks...and I'd guess more change
> w/ a couple hundred pounds of gas. That goes for
> the edge clearance and
> well as those damn bayonets going into their
> receivers.
>
> I am hoping my doors will settle out to be OK in the
> end. This was one
> minus factor when I decided to go ahead w/ a full
> paint job before getting
> into the air. Here's hoping.
>
> Only slightly related topic here, and that's the
> final radius of strake to
> fuselage and the wing-to-winglet too...anybody who
> hasn't made that radius
> shape yet...consider this..3M (and likely others)
> have a curved sanding
> block. If you make the radius to match up well with
> a hand sanding tool
> that you make up yourself, or buy commercially..it
> will pay dividends later.
> Terry
>
>
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: Andy <mailto:amillin at sbcglobal.net> Millin
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders
> <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>
> list'
> Sent: Tuesday, November 28, 2006 9:11 AM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Finish work on the doors
>
> Thanks Craig.
>
> Would you recommend that I leave the radius until
> later then?
>
> Andy
>
> _____
>
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Craig and Denise Woolston
> Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2006 11:26 PM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Finish work on the doors
>
>
>
> Ours didn't bind, but what was in contour went out
> of contour, both recessed
> and protruding in different spots. Mostly near the
> top from what I
> remember. Gap didn't really change. Only thing I
> remember that happened
> with the strake was the radius didn't match anymore
> at the intersection of
> the door and strake along fuselage side. The strake
> still matched up.
>
>
>
> Craig
>
>
>
>
>
>
> _____
>
>
> From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
> [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
> Behalf Of Andy Millin
> Sent: Sunday, November 26, 2006 7:54 PM
> To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
> Subject: REFLECTOR: Finish work on the doors
>
>
>
> Hello all,
>
>
>
> I'm doing some of the finish work on the fuselage.
> I have been warned not
> to do the fit on the doors until after the engine
> has been hung. I'll wait
> for that.
>
>
>
> Could anyone with the experience let me know how the
> fit will change when
> the engine is on? Where will the doors bind? Where
> will there be gaps?
>
>
>
> Can I do the finish work around the strake/arm rest
> portion before I hang
> the engine?
>
>
>
> Thanks,
>
>
>
> Andy
>
>
>
> _____
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
> > _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
____________________________________________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
Everyone is raving about the all-new Yahoo! Mail beta.
http://new.mail.yahoo.com
More information about the Reflector
mailing list