REFLECTOR: FG vs. RG thing

John Tvedte JohnT at comp-sol.com
Wed Aug 30 12:55:28 CDT 2006


The BSFC is going to be very close - even with a higher HP engine.  The difference is one will have the HP available, and yes - HP 
There are tradeoffs (weight for example) - but fuel consumption is up to the pilot.

John

-----Original Message-----
From:	reflector-bounces at tvbf.org on behalf of davedent at comcast.net
Sent:	Wed 8/30/2006 11:40 AM
To:	Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Cc:	
Subject:	Re: REFLECTOR: FG vs. RG thing

My XL/RG uses a IO-540 260 hp and it does just fine.  I have taken off from 7000 ft. DA and had no problems.  Even at high weights.  But I didn't climb all that great. But it does just fine with this engine.  At 12500 ft I'm burning just under 12 gph.  I'm seeing a good 175 kts as well. I'm happy with this. I'm sure if you are running a 340 hp engine your burn won't be this good but you'll climb a lot better.  Of course you go like stink as well.  There are some trade offs of course.  
Dave

-------------- Original message -------------- 
From: len.baxter at gm.com 

> 
> Pat 
> 
> Thanks for your thoughts and the great picture........ 
> 
> A question for you and the other XLRGs flying........ You indicate 340 hp 
> in your notes( what engine?). How much Hp do you really need and/or use 
> for special situations like high density altitude??? 
> 
> 
> 
> Len 
> 
> __________________ 
> 
> 
> Len, 
> 
> I was about to reply when I read Andy's post on the 
> pros and cons of each model which I thought was 
> perfect. I had nothing to add. Let me know if you have 
> any specific questions - i have 150 hrs on my XLRG. 
> 
> Since you've decided to stick with the RG and all, for 
> motivation I've attached a pic of how you'll look one 
> day doing a high speed low pass! 
> 
> Funny side story: my wife and I flew up to Fox field 
> on Saturday to take some pics and visit Craig Woolston 
> and John Schoorl who are just about to fly their 
> XLFG-5. Their plane looks great and you can see the 
> excitement on their faces. Kevin and Brooke Steiner 
> happened to be there with their Velocity, Deception. I 
> had previously only seen their plane in pictures which 
> don't do it justice - it's truly spectacular. Oh, and 
> Jorge and Ygebor Bujanda (also XLFG builders) were 
> there too! Small world. 
> 
> Pat 
> 
> --- len.baxter at gm.com wrote: 
> 
> > 
> > Andy 
> > 
> > Thanks for your input and thanks to all the others 
> > who took time to 
> > comment. 
> > 
> > Conclusions??? The response was particulaly lively 
> > from the FG crowd..... 
> > I would have hoped to hear more from the RG crowd ( 
> > particularly those 
> > flying for a while). When you take everything 
> > into account , it is truly 
> > a personal preference. I will stay with my kit as 
> > ordered..... XLRG. To 
> > me, the added complexity is not overwellming ( at 
> > least not yet ) as I am 
> > very comfortable with mechanical things. The added 
> > build time and cost is 
> > signifigant , but so is the whole project. 
> > 
> > 
> > Len Baxter 
> 
> 
> __________________________________________________ 
> Do You Yahoo!? 
> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around 
> http://mail.yahoo.com 
> (See attached file: 340xlpass3.jpg) 
> _______________________________________________ 
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector 
> 
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery 
> user:pw > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 


-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: application/ms-tnef
Size: 4547 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060830/6714045f/attachment.bin 


More information about the Reflector mailing list