REFLECTOR: FG vs RG thing

Don19dw at aol.com Don19dw at aol.com
Mon Aug 28 20:47:25 CDT 2006


Since I have built and flown both a FG model, an early hatch model flown in 
1990 and a XL/ RG model flown in 1998, here were my conclusions. 
After my experience with the FG model I decided to build an RG model for the 
following 5 reasons:
1) The speed brake on my FG model was very little help in slowing the plane 
down, whereas the gear down in a RG model is a far greater drag factor in 
assisting to control approach and landing speeds. 
2) With my FG model most of my operating problems were caused by the wheel 
pants and the nose gear with wheel fairings was especially susceptible to shimmy 
problems. I have definitely had fewer overall problems with the RG gear 
system than with the early FG system. The Velocity RG system is very reliable. One 
example, my airspring that assists pushing the nose gear down and locked 
failed after a few years. However I elected not to go to the labor and expense of 
replacing it because it is not really required. As long as the hydraulic system 
is working, it will push nose gear down and LOCK it. If that system fails, 
the emergency procedure of opening the hydraulic value and then using a stick in 
the hole in the side of the gear tunnel, works fine to lock nose gear down. I 
hope everyone tests their emergency gear done system periodically during 
flight. 
3) Checking tires, tire pressures and brake systems is far easier on the RG 
model. Plus brake disks are better cooled without wheel fairings.
4) In the event of an emergency landing on water, I believe gear up would be 
a better choice.
5) The resale value is definitely higher for an RG model. 

I didn't even count the two obvious reasons, the RG is faster in flight and 
cooler looking. 

Don White   Whites Lightning.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060828/b97d28e8/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list