REFLECTOR: Rudder conduits on Alan Shaw wings

lawrence epstein ljepstein at hotmail.com
Sun Aug 27 15:39:02 CDT 2006


I asked for suggestions about this some months ago and have tried them all. 
Still no joy.

The folowng is an e-mail I sent to Alan. Anybody have any other suggestions?

Alan-
I hope all is well. I continue to follow Wingco/Atlantica and look forward 
to it's success.

Anyway-

I have been trying to find the rudder conduits on my (WingCo/V173) wings and 
can't!

There was a lot of spillage in the recess where the internal arm should go 
and the conduit (Outboard) end should be as well as some "displaced" triax.
I spoke to a few people who had your wings and had similar problem finding 
the condit end and all said just keep digging and cutting. I confirmed with 
the factory that even triax cut away 5-6" in the well would still not be a 
structural problem.

Anyway, digging was a problem from the opening. I then saw a velocity at 
Oshkosh that had your wings and had the same problem. He had cut an access 
panel about 3" diameter centered 5" fwd of the opened edge (he covered it 
wth plexiglass to have easy inpection of the rudder cable/turnbuckle). THis 
looked like a good solution and I again discussed it with Duane Swing and 
Ken Baker @ the Velocity tent and all were OK with the structure.

Well I cut the holes and dug away, completely exposing the outboard end of 
the blue foam of the wing from about 3 to 7 inches fwd of the winglet open 
edge, top to bottom and NO CONDUIT!!!

Where should I look now? Any suggestions? I have tried to get a stiff wire 
thru the conduit from inboard to outboard but anything heavy/stiff enough to 
chuck in a drill, won't pass more than about 3 feet and and the smaller 
stuff goes only about 5-6 feet.

I have attached a photo

-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 100_1000.jpg
Type: image/jpeg
Size: 0 bytes
Desc: not available
Url : http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060827/deb7a53f/attachment.jpg 


More information about the Reflector mailing list