REFLECTOR: Nomex/Stainless

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Sun Aug 27 14:58:07 CDT 2006


MessageAnother material to use is Nextel high temp ceramic fabric.   It's good for 3000 deg. F.  But get it washed. It comes with a sizing on it.  But if you check you can get it washed. I started using it over 20  yrs ago.  I used it for making an inductive oven for processing metals.  It's very flexible and can be epoxies into your cowling as well for exhaust shielding.  LLNL did some extensive testing on it related to engine firewalls and found it to be the best material you could use.  
Dave


----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Milton Mersky 
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 
  Sent: Sunday, August 27, 2006 7:05 AM
  Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Nomex/Stainless




  Kurt:

  Nomex is only needed for the first fire.

  I would suggest Nomex not be deleted.

  Milt




    -----Original Message-----
    From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Al Gietzen
    Sent: Saturday, August 26, 2006 10:23 PM
    To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Nomex/Stainless


    Kurt;



    I got the fiberfrax from A.S. and S.; and the .020 SS from a local metals shop for a whole lot less than the nomex.  Worth checking.



    Al



    Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Nomex/Stainless



    So, let me get this right.... the NEW stuff is fiberfrax and .20 stainless..... what is the thickness of the old stuff. Have to admit... it does look nicer. .



    see what happens when you take forever to build...... all kinds of new stuff happens. 



    Kurt 





      Just like I said, FiberFrax and .20 stainless...

      Kurt, here's a link to a pic on Rich's website showing
      how nice the thicker SS looks:

      http://www.rguerra.com/velocity/engine/underTheEngine.jpg

      Pat



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw   Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060827/bfaa1862/attachment.htm 


More information about the Reflector mailing list