REFLECTOR: Nomex/Stainless
Ron Brown
romott at adelphia.net
Thu Aug 24 13:58:28 CDT 2006
If you do have the old (or even the new), you can make the wrinkles
"disappear" by using a polishing brush to make a swirl pattern on the
stainless. I tried several different wire brushes, ceramic pads, and I
think I wound up using a pad that was similar to the 3M scratch pad
material.
A couple of pictures of the finished product are at
http://home.sprintmail.com/~romott/page43.html
This doesn't completely hide the wrinkles but it certainly makes them much
less obvious. And be careful, the thin SS material will cut you like a
razor!!!!
Ronnie
----- Original Message -----
From: "Pat Shea" <xl340hp at yahoo.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 24, 2006 2:44 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Nomex/Stainless
> Kurt,
>
> I concur with Jack. Last I heard the factory was still
> using the nomex covered by thin stainless, but now
> they cover that with a thicker piece of stainless.
> That's certainly going to give you better fire
> protection along with a more professional looking
> installation. The thin SS has a tendency to wrinkle
> (see attached photo).
>
> The thin SS/nomex can be cut using a utility knife and
> a template for a guide. The thicker SS will probably
> require hole cutting tools. Many people caulk around
> the edges to prevent finger injuries - thin SS is
> sharp!
>
> FWIW, Pat
>
> --- J.F.Sheehan at larc.nasa.gov wrote:
>
>> Kurt,
>> The older kits came with a very thin stainless with
>> nomex attached to it.
>> This is a very light weight solution but not a good
>> one. I used it and
>> wish I had used the thicker stainless. The thin
>> stuff get so easily
>> damaged every time you touch it with a tool or oil
>> filter etc.
>> The thicker stainless is .030 I however used the
>> older stuff and
>> it just cuts with a pair of shears I imagine the new
>> stuff does also.
>>
>> Jack
>> N55XL
>> Race 55
>
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
More information about the Reflector
mailing list