REFLECTOR: Anti-Ice

Christopher Martin christophercmartin at earthlink.net
Thu Aug 24 02:05:46 CDT 2006


In answer to the question of my configuration. I have a XL RG with a
Lycoming IO540, MT Constant Speed Prop and I normally cruise at 175K true

This is a copy of the email I sent to our group on March 13, 2004 reporting
my event

I had an interesting IFR flight today  that I thought you all would be
interested in hearing about.
 
I needed to fly from Los Angeles to San Luis Obispo, CA and there was
marginal VFR. Clouds were reported with bases at 3,500 and tops at 7,000. I
asked a CFI friend to make the trip with me because I knew it would require
IFR and I am not rated. To make a long story short. We did some serious
cloud burrowing.
 
The icing level was 7,000 and we were at 8,000. After about 15 minutes, as
we poked in and out of the clouds, I noticed some minor build up of ice was
occurring. The first sign of it showed up at the tips of the vortelons, on
the sharpest edges. Within 30 minutes the rime ice was becoming 1/4 inch
thick on the leading edges of the winglets. Clear ice was beginning to show
just aft of the leading edge of the wing and on top of the carnard. At this
point I noticed the plane was loosing 20 knts of forward speed. We
penetrated a few more clouds and the buildup seemed to accelerate. The
speed of the plane was now reduced by 40 knts and the engine was beginning
to heat up. The cylinder head temps had risen from 370 F to 415F. This was
undoubtedly due to the arm pit scoops loading up with ice. I thought it was
time to call it quits and head for a lower elevation. We dropped to 7,000
and came out of the clouds. Canceled the IFR and squawked 1200 and dropped
further to 5,500 as the air temp rose from the low of 32 the ice began to
melt. As a few chunks came off, I lifted the nose and dropped the speed to
130knts to allow the ice to fall away as opposed to flying back into the
prop. Within 3 minutes we were clear of all the ice and resumed a normal
VFR cruise at 3,500 feet on to our destination.
 
I don't know how many of you have flown into real icing conditions. I
didn't think I ever would. But, given the right conditions, as I had today,
and the opportunity to drop out of it at anytime. I thought it was a
worthwhile opportunity to test the effects. The most interesting result was
the increased engine temps.
 
Just thought I would share the experience. I don't expect it to happen
again.

Christopher Martin
christophercmartin at earthlink.net



> [Original Message]
> From: Chuck Jensen <cjensen at dts9000.com>
> To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> Date: 8/23/2006 5:31:03 AM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Anti-Ice
>
> Christopher,
>
> Recap your configuration for us....arm pit or naca scoops, alternate
> inlet air, fuel injected?  Was the 8000' limit with engine developing
> full power?  Engine size?
>
> Thanks,
> Chuck Jensen
> Diversified Technologies
> 2680 Westcott Blvd
> Knoxville, TN  37931
> Phn:     865-539-9000 x25
> Cell:     865-406-9001
> Fax:     865-539-9001
> cjensen at dts9000.com
>  
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org 
> > [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Christopher Martin
> > Sent: Wednesday, August 23, 2006 12:43 AM
> > To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list; Velocity 
> > Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Anti-Ice
> > 
> > 
> > I was flying at about 8,000 feet at cloud base and had picked 
> > up 1/2" of ice and noticed that the engine began to over heat 
> > and finally the angle of attack warning came on at 135 KNTS 
> > indicated. I dropped out of the cloud base and the ice came 
> > off relatively quickly.
> > 
> > In addition to the plane struggling to fly at 135 KNTS the 
> > intakes had begun to ice over which resulted in the high 
> > temps. The biggest scare was when a big sheet of ice came off 
> > of the canard. I was afraid it might go into the prop.
> > 
> > Christopher Martin
> > christophercmartin at earthlink.net
> > 
> > 
> > 
> > > [Original Message]
> > > From: Kirk <dd at visi.com>
> > > To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
> > > Date: 8/22/2006 6:47:00 PM
> > > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Anti-Ice
> > >
> > > I picked up 1/2" once, couldn't climb above 8000' to get 
> > out of it, as
> > both 
> > > the flying surfaces and the prop were collecting ice, so descended 
> > > below
> > MEA 
> > > (had to declare an emergency), where I knew the temps were 
> > high enough 
> > > to
> > > begin melting the ice off, or at least not accumulate any 
> > more.  Landed
> > with 
> > > some ice still on the canard, which increased the stall 
> > speed probably 
> > > 15
> > - 
> > > 20 kts.  Best to avoid it altogether.
> > > - Kirk
> > >
> > > ----- Original Message -----
> > > From: "Keith Hallsten" <KeithHallsten at quiknet.com>
> > > To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'" 
> > <reflector at tvbf.org>
> > > Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 7:49 PM
> > > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Anti-Ice
> > >
> > >
> > > >I think the general consensus is the ice is best avoided with the
> > Velocity.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > -----Original Message-----
> > > > From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org 
> > [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] 
> > > > On Behalf Of Lawrence J. Epstein,MD
> > > > Sent: Tuesday, August 22, 2006 1:03 PM
> > > > To: reflector at tvbf.org
> > > > Subject: REFLECTOR: Anti-Ice
> > > >
> > > > I posed this question a few months ago and didn't get a single 
> > > > response, so I figured I would try again:
> > > >
> > > >>
> > > >>What is the group's experience with Icing in the Velocity?
> > > >>
> > > >>Has anyone installed any Anti-Ice or De-Icing systems.
> > > >>
> > > >>Anyone consider E-vade or Thermawing Tape?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >> Has anyone tried to apply the "percussive tape" technology
> > > > (www.iceengineering.com) to an aircraft?
> > > >>Larry Epstein
> > > >>173 FGE
> > > >>
> > > >>
> > > >>_______________________________________________
> > > >>To change your email address, visit 
> > > >>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > > >>
> > > >>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > > >>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > > >>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > > >>Check old archives: 
> > > >>http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > To change your email address, visit 
> > > > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > > >
> > > > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > > > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > > > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > > > Check old archives: 
> > > > http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > To change your email address, visit 
> > > > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > > >
> > > > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > > > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > > > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > > > Check old archives: 
> > > > http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > _______________________________________________
> > > > To change your email address, visit
> > > > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > > >
> > > > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > > > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > > > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > > > Check old archives: 
> > > > http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > > > 
> > >
> > >
> > > _______________________________________________
> > > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > >
> > > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > > Check old archives: 
> > > http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > 
> > 
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit 
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > 
> > Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: 
> > http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > 
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list