REFLECTOR: Retract to Fixed gear

Ron Brown romott at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 21 21:14:27 CDT 2006


I'll step up!

When I bought my kit, I had a tough decision between a XL FG or a 173 Elite 
RG.  After talking to several Velocity owners, I decided on the 173 RG and 
haven't regretted it at all.  Some of the PRO's were the fact that the 
payload was the same, fuel economy was 50% better, and I didn't HAVE to HAVE 
the M/T prop.

After 280 hours, and only minor RG problems, I feel I still made the right 
decision.  Especially when I retract the gear and everything just gets 
quieter, smoother and faster!  And yes it is sexy from +100 ft altitude to 
10,000'.  But, the build time is definitey longer - 200 to 500 hours extra, 
and yes there is more work to do during the annual condition inspection.

I have a gear-not-down horn that comes on sooner than necessary, like when I 
pull back to lower the speed to 110 knots to let the gear down, the horn 
comes on to remind me that I need to put the gear down.  Some folks have it 
set so that it only comes on when you pull the power pretty much off.  And I 
try to ALWAYS put the gear down when in the downwind abeam of the runway OR 
5 miles on a straight in final - as in an instrument approach - 
ALWAYS!!!!!!!!  Then check and make sure I have two green lights on final - 
like "GO AHEAD AND LAND - TWO GREEN LIGHTS".

But, I have always been a gear head and I love mechanical stuff - so I enjoy 
it when everything works!!!!  Now, if and when I have a gear up, I'll 
definitely give my opinion then!

Ronnie Brown
173 Elite RG
http://home.sprintmail.com/~romott/page11.html 



More information about the Reflector mailing list