REFLECTOR: Fixed vs RG
Douglas Holub
doug.holub at comcast.net
Mon Aug 21 20:14:44 CDT 2006
I built the original style wheel pants that came with my kit. They are kind
of boxy. I think they were designed to create lift. I seem to remember
reading in the early Velocity marketing literature a line that went
something like, "Everything is creating lift: the wings, the fuselage, even
the wheel pants!" So since I've already built them, I think I'll use them.
If the plane doesn't fly fast enough, I'll try the more streamlined wheel
pants and see if they make a difference.
Doug Holub
50% done, Classic FG w/ electric nose lift
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Philipsen" <velocity at davebiz.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 5:47 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fixed vs RG
> Hi Dave,
>
> Even though I have absolutely no experience with the FGs, I'd have to
> agree with you to. I don't necessarily think that it's a big safety
> issue with the RGs. It just seems that a person would devote a lot of
> time to upkeep and repair. Even if the gear could be made more reliable
> everyone seems to agree that it's not a matter of *if* but *when* you'll
> have a gear-up landing. Some of the guys on the other canard forums
> even joke about being members of the "Nose Draggers Elite" or the "Nose
> Draggers Club". If I had a retractable and *ever* had a gear-up
> landing, I can almost guarantee that my wife would never fly with me
> again.
>
> Anyway, I got interested when you started talking about the custom wheel
> pants. I've got a STD FG and the wheel pants are getting a little beat
> up. I am not the builder nor do I have much experience with composites
> and building. But, I was thinking it might be a nice starter project to
> build a new set of pants. Is the design of your pants available from
> the designer? Do you have a picture of them?
>
>
> Dave Dent wrote:
>> This is only my opinion, but if I was to do it all over I would go the
>> fixed
>> gear with a good set of the best wheel pants for low drag and cooling for
>> the brakes you can get. The wheel pants design can give you speed and
>> cooling for brakes if done right.
>> I would also go with carbon lay-ups on the gear for added strength. I
>> installed the carbon braded carbon sleeve on mine. It cost me another
>> $250
>> in materials but I have more confidence in them now. Also use the best
>> bolts
>> you can buy in the mounting of the gear. At least grade eight bolts. For
>> those that haven't changed out the bolts, do it now. To me this should
>> be a
>> mandatory thing to do.
>>
>> I did this on my Long EZ and Cozy and got both. The Cozy was seeing
>> 185kts
>> indicated at 4500 ft. Just get the drag down. Some times this out-weighs
>> the retractable.
>>
>> By the way my wheel pants were designed by Cory Bird. He was the designer
>> and builder of the grand champion winner at OSH. 2004 You may have seen
>> it.
>> He calls it Symmetry N241ST. When ever it shows up at a fly-in and if
>> it's
>> going to be judged; all the others wanting to be judged just as well go
>> home. I rebuilt the engine on it while he was building the plane.
>>
>> The very fact of the complexity of the RG is not worth it. Yes it looks
>> cool like I said but not worth the problems, especially with the Velo
>> XL/RG.
>> As well the RG will bring more money when you go to sell it but if not
>> selling, it don't matter. I have to say this and my it may make some
>> people
>> upset but the Velocity gear has a long way to go to make it not a concern
>> for kit builders. It can make or brake a good aircraft, even if it's one
>> of
>> the best flying machines in the industry, and I think it is.
>> Dave
>> ----- Original Message -----
>>
>
> --
> Dave Philipsen
> STDFG
> N171SP
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
More information about the Reflector
mailing list