REFLECTOR: Fixed vs RG

Douglas Holub doug.holub at comcast.net
Mon Aug 21 20:07:45 CDT 2006


Mike Pollock, the EAA Technical Counselor, and Greg Otto came out and 
visited my project a couple of months ago. They also mentioned replacing the 
gear bolts on my fixed gear. They said that I should keep a spare set in the 
plane in case they ever crack while I'm traveling somewhere. My plane was 
shipped in '89. Anybody know what the deal is about the gear bolts? Were 
they too small originally?

Doug Holub
----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Pat Shea" <xl340hp at yahoo.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 5:00 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Fixed vs RG


> Al,
>
> I don't remember why it came up, but I upgraded the
> bolts a few years ago on my XL which was a 1996-1997
> kit. Doing so seems like cheap insurance even in a
> SERG.
>
> Here's the gotcha: It turns out the heavier duty bolts
> the factory sent me were not true. Apparently this is
> fairly common with this size bolt. Instead of just
> sending them back I tried to make them work.
>
> In the end I had to find truer bolts as well as
> replace the sleeves in the gear legs that the bolts go
> through...
>
> Maybe you can just determine the current bolt's
> specs/grade and find a local supplier. That way you
> could accept/reject on the spot.
>
> Pat
>
> --- Al Gietzen <ALVentures at cox.net> wrote:
>
>
>> I'm not sure I understand what it is with the bolts.
>> I have not heard before
>> that this was an issue.  Is it just with the XL?
>> What grade bolts come with
>> the kit? Or came with the kit 10 years ago? I wonder
>> if grade 8 is the right
>> thing - grade 8 bolts have higher tensile strength,
>> but are also more
>> brittle.
>
>
> __________________________________________________
> Do You Yahoo!?
> Tired of spam?  Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
> http://mail.yahoo.com
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit 
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 




More information about the Reflector mailing list