REFLECTOR: Retract to Fixed gear
matt
mbuc310 at cox.net
Mon Aug 21 16:08:31 CDT 2006
I have decided (probably) to remove my partially installed retract equipment
and replace it with the fixed gear parts. Randy, the man I bought the kit
from, did a beautiful job in installing all of the parts. I hate to undo it.
But after much thinking on the subject, and bouncing it off of Scott Swing,
I may take that route.
I will need to retrofit all of the FG parts, saddels, captivator, etc, but I
believe it will be worth it. The top and bottom are not bonded yet, so this
should be "easy" HAHAHAHA right.......
Matt
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org]On
Behalf Of reflector-request at tvbf.org
Sent: Monday, August 21, 2006 12:12 PM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Reflector Digest, Vol 27, Issue 94
Send Reflector mailing list submissions to
reflector at tvbf.org
To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
reflector-request at tvbf.org
You can reach the person managing the list at
reflector-owner at tvbf.org
When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
than "Re: Contents of Reflector digest..."
Today's Topics:
1. Re: Auto Conversions (velocityxlfg)
2. Re: Accident/Incident (velocityxlfg)
3. Re: Accident/Incident (davedent at comcast.net)
4. Re: [SPAM] AirVenture Cup Race Photo Gallery (Phil Hooper)
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Message: 1
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:51:44 -0500
From: "velocityxlfg" <velocityxl at fastmail.fm>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Auto Conversions
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <004b01c6c539$b440ef40$6710a8c0 at tungsten.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
I am Still not fling but in the process of an LT1 install. Mine is more or
less a stock LT1 unlike most
I have seen . I am using an Aero Kinetics Hyvo chain drive. Has been
a fun adventure so far.
Ron
----- Original Message -----
From: Jack Prock
To: Velocity Reflector
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 7:50 PM
Subject: REFLECTOR: Auto Conversions
One of the other posts mentioned using an auto conversion. Has anyone put
an auto conversion on
an XL yet? I am a year away from selection an engine, but The price point
of an
auto engine is really hard not to at least consider. Anybody have any
thoughts?
Thanks
Jack Prock
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
--
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060821/da5671d6/
attachment-0001.htm
------------------------------
Message: 2
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 10:59:29 -0500
From: "velocityxlfg" <velocityxl at fastmail.fm>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Accident/Incident
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <008801c6c53a$c9e45fc0$6710a8c0 at tungsten.com>
Content-Type: text/plain; format=flowed; charset="iso-8859-1";
reply-type=original
> I love the RG, but the faster arrival times can never make up for the
> time spent building and adjusting the RG system
Not to mention the repairs after wheels
up landing,Gear stuck landing ,hours of discussion on the
reflector on how to fix there retract problems.
Sorry guys just a little needling from a guy
who is still building XLFG
Ron
----- Original Message -----
From: "Dave Black" <dvblack at comcast.net>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:55 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Accident/Incident
> Robin Ream wrote:
>
>> Maybe the factory will just come out with a modification kit to
>> change the
>> retracts back to fixed gear models :-) ---------- There, the
>> problem's
>> solved. So easy wasn't it? :-)
>
> That would take away all the fun, wouldn't it?
>
> That said, if I had it to do over I'd build a FG model. My retract
> works magnificently, but it added hundreds of hours to my build time.
> I love the RG, but the faster arrival times can never make up for the
> time spent building and adjusting the RG system.
>
>
> dave black
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
------------------------------
Message: 3
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 18:42:54 +0000
From: davedent at comcast.net
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Accident/Incident
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list <reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID:
<082120061842.1220.44E9FEAD000E71BD000004C422070208539B020A0B0A900E0B at comca
st.net>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
I have to agree with you 100%. The time spent on the RG system on my XL/RG
has cost me over 90% of the work done on this plane. The gear system has so
many problems with it that it's not worth it. I just flew my plane back
from being grounded out in the middle of nowhere with gear problems that I
even flew it home with the main gear down for 3.1 hrs just to get it home.
It would have taken me 2.5 hrs to get there with the gear up. Fixing it in
the field is no fun. Of course that was with, now a fix pitch prop as well.
Ka-ching.
I have over $5000 spent related to the landing gear in just getting it home.
Counting airfares, tooling, parts, hotels, fuel, hangars,shipping props,etc.
No the retract is not worth it. Yes it looks cool but it is not worth it.
There I think I have said that enough.
I love the way the plane flies. With a gear up or gear down and locked, it
makes no difference. Just a little slower with them down. Looking with
hindsight down and locked with pants is much better.
First related to the gear system, I think the quality of the parts is so
different you can't count on them fitting the same as the part you removed.
So doing makes it a major task and usually a major modification to the
structure. Once I get through these gear issues, I hope I will have my
problems behind related to my plane. But for those still thinking on which
plane to build, I would recommend the fixed gear model now. At least till
they get the RG problems resolved.
By the way I just found a crack in one of the welds on the new nose gear I
installed last year. Once again there is a quality control issue here. No
hard landings on the nose at all since it was installed. May have been side
loading related to the failed main gear. I don't know. Just to let every
one out there know. For safety sake let's cover these issues. I'm not just
trying to vent, I'm just want those working these issues, they are not
alone.
Dave
-------------- Original message --------------
From: "velocityxlfg" <velocityxl at fastmail.fm>
> > I love the RG, but the faster arrival times can never make up for the
> > time spent building and adjusting the RG system
>
> Not to mention the repairs after wheels
> up landing,Gear stuck landing ,hours of discussion on the
> reflector on how to fix there retract problems.
>
> Sorry guys just a little needling from a guy
> who is still building XLFG
>
> Ron
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> From: "Dave Black"
> To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list"
> Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 6:55 PM
> Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Accident/Incident
>
>
> > Robin Ream wrote:
> >
> >> Maybe the factory will just come out with a modification kit to
> >> change the
> >> retracts back to fixed gear models :-) ---------- There, the
> >> problem's
> >> solved. So easy wasn't it? :-)
> >
> > That would take away all the fun, wouldn't it?
> >
> > That said, if I had it to do over I'd build a FG model. My retract
> > works magnificently, but it added hundreds of hours to my build time.
> > I love the RG, but the faster arrival times can never make up for the
> > time spent building and adjusting the RG system.
> >
> >
> > dave black
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060821/133173f1/
attachment-0001.html
------------------------------
Message: 4
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2006 12:11:29 -0700
From: "Phil Hooper" <phil at hdmnet.com>
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: [SPAM] AirVenture Cup Race Photo Gallery
To: "'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'"
<reflector at tvbf.org>
Message-ID: <03f101c6c555$9fa60ef0$6901a8c0 at philoptiquest>
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
Rich, I get 404'd when I click on the link.
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Rich Guerra
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 8:29 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: [SPAM] REFLECTOR: AirVenture Cup Race Photo Gallery
To ALL:
It took me a while to get organized, but I FINALLY uploaded my photo
collection covering the AirVenture Cup Race and Oshkosh 2006. I thank Pat,
Jack, Tim and others for their kind words about the race and RACE 24. You
guys plus Scott Jones and Joe Schifferl really made this Race special!
Having all those Velocity's in one place was a real hoot and I think
demonstrated that our planes can make a pretty respectable showing. The Race
was a real showcase of fantastic planes and was a great time for all. There
are a LOT of photos which tell the story of not only the Race itself, but
all of the fun we all had both before and after the event itself.
Hopefully, the Race gallery conveys a little of what makes this event
special.
The Velocity factory couldn't make it due to mechanical difficulties with
the factory demo but they have my thanks and those of the other racers for
sponsoring the event. I hope that they will do so again next year and maybe
even fly in the Race! It would be a nice way to help put a lot of VELO's on
the front flight line for all to see!
For those that couldn't make it this time, I hope that you will consider it
for next year. It's a GREAT way to get into OSH and a great deal of fun!
Let's see if we can get more than 5 Velocity's in the next Race!
Check out the AIRVENTURE CUP RACE section on my web site:
http://www.rguerra.com/velocity/
Enjoy!
RIch Guerra
Velocity XL RG N724X aka RACE 24
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL:
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060821/ac9a2942/
attachment.htm
------------------------------
_______________________________________________
Visit the gallery! tvbf:jamaicangoose
End of Reflector Digest, Vol 27, Issue 94
*****************************************
__________ NOD32 1.1718 (20060821) Information __________
This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system.
http://www.eset.com
More information about the Reflector
mailing list