REFLECTOR: GOOD STORY'S
Fred Marconi
fmarconi at bellsouth.net
Sun Aug 20 14:38:24 CDT 2006
I have been flying to the Bahamas with my Velocity. My letters are on the cowling and they are not 12" high, more like ten and they are not painted but decals. The custom people in the islands do not even check out your plane at least the times that I have been there, they much less care, they need the tourist. The problem is not with the Bahamas but with US Customs and I have not found that to be a problem. The people at OPF are great.
The runways at Bimini and Treasure Kay are fine, small jets land there. At Treasure Kay there are two airports, the problem there is not the landing fee but the cab fare $80.00 if you land MYAM and want to get to the other side of the island. My tie down fare there was I believe $15.00, nice FBO, first class. If you land at MYAT the cab fare to get to town is about $20.00 I did not pay a tie down fee because there is not and FBO, the ramp belongs to the government.
At Bimini I do not believe I paid a tie down fee either.
Fred
N244FM
----- Original Message -----
From: KMis178813 at aol.com
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Sent: Friday, August 18, 2006 6:34 PM
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: GOOD STORY'S
You do not need prior approval for the Bahamas anymore. What you do need is 12 inch numbers on the plane. They will let you put the numbers on with duct tape only once. I was told next time it must be painted on. Good to know if you are about to paint your airplane and plan on going international. As of January 07 you must have a passport they wont except photo IDs anymore. You must file a international flight plan, if VFR you must activate it or fly IFR. They also required life jackets on board for every sole and tell them what color they are. I wear a blow up one for the flight. I figure if something bad is happening I would not take time to put one on instead of flying. Landing / ramp fees change from island to island and person to person. I heard of a group that all flew to the same island and were all charged different amounts. It depends on if the custom agent likes you, or if he's just looking for some extra cash, and there is nothing you can, or want to do about it just pay the guy so he will go away. Customs charged me $15 per person and I was quoted $65 a night for hangar space but was charged $25 per night. Check with the airport or someone that has been there recently, for runway conditions. They are not real good at maintaining stuff over there. The Islands are closer than you think. From Sebastian to Freeport is less than 1 hour flight. Definitely worth doing at least once.
Ken
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060820/c37c37f9/attachment-0001.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list