REFLECTOR: Global Warming
Richard Riley
richard at riley.net
Thu Aug 17 10:56:34 CDT 2006
It not that one side or the other is taking a side - I have my
opinion, and I'll argue it in the appropriate forum. I'm bailing
because I don't want to stand around and watch another good forum
die. There are a few off topic discussions that can kill a forum,
this one is right up there with abortion. I once saw a disaster
preparedness forum degenerate into lawsuits over Pedophile Priests in
the Catholic Church. The lawsuits were thrown out, of course, but
the forum is dead, there hasn't been anything posted there in months.
When I was growing up my parents were political activists. They had
barbecues every other week, and invited dozens of people. A LOT of
them were activists on the other side. A wonderful time was had by
all. Just inside the front door there was a sign that read "No
Politics. No Religion." These days I'd add "No Diet Stuff" (The
Vegans can get in your face) but the sentiment is still the same.
I'll check back in a couple of months and see if there's anything (or
anyone) left.
At 07:53 AM 8/17/2006, you wrote:
>Richard,
>
>Your right to evacuate is respected, but not appreciated. I don't know
>what part of the GW discussion disgusted you...probably all of it, but
>your delete button works as well as mine. Small price to pay to stay
>on-topic on this forum.
>
>The request for you to stay is strictly selfish. I understand that you
>gain a lot less from this forum then you contribute, but all endeavors
>are not created equal, so hang around. We'll all be the better for it.
>
>Chuck Jensen
> Do Not Archive
>
>
> > -----Original Message-----
> > From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org
> > [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Richard Riley
> > Sent: Thursday, August 17, 2006 10:18 AM
> > To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
> > Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Global Warming
> >
> >
> > It is with great regret that I must unsubscribe from this froum. I
> > sincerely thank the moderator for his work, and wish you all the best
> > in your projects.
> >
> > At 05:14 AM 8/17/2006, you wrote:
> >
> > >Dear friends:
> > >
> > >To all that were supportive, thank your for the kind words. Also
> > >thank you to those that have shown the other side of the coin. My
> > >concern was not political but rather one that should concern us
> > >all. We cannot deny that we do pollute the earth and that the world
> > >population is placing great demands on mother nature. Al Gore or
> > >not this is not debatable, it's a scientific fact. No one can argue
> > >that there are more people on earth today that they were 500 years
> > >ago. The earth is not flat.
> > >
> > >As a pilot now more than a builder, for I completed my project two
> > >years ago, I am not happy for the days I cannot fly due to severe
> > >weather conditions. If what we are doing is having an effect on my,
> > >our, ability to be on the air, I would like to take the actions
> > >necessary to make a change.
> > >
> > >We spend a great deal of time in constructing an airplane that is
> > >not for short hops but rather for long distance travel. Weather
> > >becomes a big issue to us when wanting to reach our
> > >destination. IFR is interesting but I do enjoy the clear skies and
> > >being able to see mother earth when I fly, the sights are awesome.
> > >
> > >Just a thought,
> > >Fred
> > >N244FM
> > >----- Original Message -----
> > >From: <mailto:kent at orbital.aero>Kent Murley
> > >To: <mailto:reflector at tvbf.org>Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders
> > >list
> > >Sent: Monday, August 14, 2006 1:11 AM
> > >Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Global Warming
> > >
> > >Good for you, Fred, for speaking up. Only with open minded
> > >discussion do issues get addressed or solved. People that go out of
> > >their way to deny there is an issue offend me because they tend to
> > >be wrong in the long run, yet never see or admit they were wrong.
> > >
> > >Off-topic? That's BS. Only a few of us could afford the time or
> > >money to attend the fly-ins at Rough River, Grayson Co., or
> > >Airventure but we didn't whine or post offensive remarks about other
> > >posts about motels and rendezvous.
> > >
> > >Off-topic, eh? An issue about advances in engine efficiency and
> > >emissions in a forum about experimental airplanes? According to
> > >people who claim that it is off-topic, the only proper venue for the
> > >issue of global warming is in a room full of ecologists with no
> > >political pull. In my experience such vociferous people are afraid
> > >of change for monetary or other selfish reasons.
> > >
> > >I don't agree gasohol is the way to go (and my parents put me
> > >through college raising corn) but I applaud Fred for speaking up
> > >against those who wear blinders or those who see the big picture and
> > >try to weasel out of it with negativity and bullying. If you can't
> > >say anything nice...
> > >
> > >If your posts respond to anyone in a negative manner I wish you'd
> > >just grow up. Maybe take kindergarten again. Think before
> > you press Send.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed individuals
> > >can change the world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever
> > >has." Margaret Mead
> > >
> > >Kent Murley
> > >
> > >[]
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >Fred Marconi wrote:
> > >>Dear Friends:
> > >>
> > >>I know this site is not to be used for things other than airplane
> > >>issues but this concern merits attention by all and we as pilots
> > >>must take action in finding and promoting engines that are more
> > >>efficient and cleaner for the environment, even find ways in
> > >>converting our present engines to gasohol.
> > >>
> > >>Last night I saw the movie "Inconvenient Truth" I highly recommend
> > >>it, not as it would be nice but as something of urgency. It is a
> > >>root awakening to what is happening in the world today and what
> > >>WILL happen in our lifetime if we do not take action. Our future
> > >>and that of our children is most definitely at stake.
> > >>
> > >>Please forward this message to as many people as you know.
> > >>
> > >>The web sites below should be of interest.
> > >>
> > >>Fred
> > >>
> > >><http://www.climatecrisis.net/takeaction/>http://www.climate
> > crisis.net
> > >>/takeaction/
> > >>
> > >>http://www.stopglobalwarming.org/sgw_headlines.asp?id=119&c=7
> > >
> > >
> > >----------
> > >_______________________________________________
> > >To change your email address, visit
> > >http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > >
> > >Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > >user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > >Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > >Check old archives:
> > http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > >
> > >_______________________________________________
> > >To change your email address, visit
> > >http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> > >
> > >Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > >user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > >Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > >Check old archives:
> > http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> > >
> > >
> > >No virus found in this incoming message.
> > >Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> > >Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.0/420 - Release Date:
> > >8/16/2006
> >
> >
> > --
> > No virus found in this outgoing message.
> > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
> > Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.0/420 - Release
> > Date: 8/16/2006
> >
> >
> > _______________________________________________
> > To change your email address, visit
> > http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> >
> > Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
> > user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> > Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> > Check old archives:
> > http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> >
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery! www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>
>
>
>
>--
>No virus found in this incoming message.
>Checked by AVG Free Edition.
>Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.0/420 - Release Date: 8/16/2006
--
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.405 / Virus Database: 268.11.0/420 - Release Date: 8/16/2006
More information about the Reflector
mailing list