REFLECTOR: Engine backfiring
Dave Philipsen
velocity at davebiz.com
Tue Aug 15 22:38:43 CDT 2006
Here's a question perhaps for some of the engine experts: I've got a
STD FG with IO360-A1A engine.
It has one standard magneto and one Jeff Rose electronic ignition. The
engine and oil cooling are not a
problem even with OATs in the low 90s. But, I have a problem (it's not a
huge problem) with backfiring
during taxi *after* I land. Taxiing before takeoff seems to be ok. The
backfiring happens maybe once
every 30 seconds or so. The engine also seems to run a little rough at
this time. I've tried running lean,
running rich, running on just the magneto, running on just the
electronic ignition. None of these seems to
prevent the backfiring during taxi. The engine never seems to have
problems before or during takeoff or
during cruise or descent...just taxiing back after landing.
I'm starting to think it's a vapor lock problem or something since the
fuel flow is way down and the fuel is
sitting in the lines longer and heating up. I had the cowling off the
other day and was checking the routing
of the fuel injector lines and they don't appear to be routed near the
exhaust manifolds or anything like that.
I was thinking of maybe experimenting with some insulating material
around the individual injector lines as
well as the main fuel line. Any ideas?
--
Dave Philipsen
STDFG
N171SP
More information about the Reflector
mailing list