REFLECTOR: Plenum-Runner-firewall connections

mike deeter iguanamagic at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 14 14:27:54 CDT 2006


Jeffrey:

I did mine w/ the rubber at first; I don't recommend
it as I couldn't make it fit worth a damn.  I changed
to fiberglass sleeves that I fabricated.  I spoke to
the factory about my concerns w/ vibration and they
said the fiberglass handles it.

So, I fabricated fiberglass (4 layers BID) sleeves to
span the gap between the runners on the firewall and
the plenum.  My sleeves were made by taping cardboard
(thin) to span the gap.  The finished sleeves are
slightly loose due to the cardboard's absence, which
seems to take care of vibration.  I broke my sleeves
lengthwise on their sides, hinged each on one side and
put attachment hardware (screws & nutplates) on the
other.  I made them airtight w/ silicone gasket
material to take up the looseness.

Seems to work great.  There are probably a million
ways to do this but I didn't like the rubber answer.

Mike Deeter
Velocity SRG
  

--- Jeffrey Clough <jclough at gci.net> wrote:

> I am beginning the fabrication of my plenum to NACA
> runners....I looked 
> at the online construction pics......it looks like
> the plenum is screwed 
> into the firewall via a flange at the NACA ducts and
> at the other end it 
> is screwed into the plenum via a flange......in the
> MIDDLE of the 
> runners is a joint of what appears to be engine
> baffle wrapped around 
> and pop riveted to the lower runner section.....does
> the upper runner 
> section just 'fit like a glove' into this baffle
> wrap?  Is this the best 
> way to do this?  Is it easy to disassemble...to
> remove the plenum...with 
> this method?  Does this isolate the engine
> vibrations from the 
> runner-NACA junction?  Does the upper runner section
> still insert into 
> the lower section an inch or two or do they
> approximately 'butt' inside 
> the baffle wrap??   Thanx for your help!
> Jeff Clough    173 RG Clamshell Franklin
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit
> http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
> 
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives:
> http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
> 


*******************************************
Mike Deeter
N2011 Test Pilot
iguanamagic at yahoo.com
http://iguanamagic.siegesmund.org
*******************************************


More information about the Reflector mailing list