REFLECTOR: More nose wheel

Donald Royer djroyer at earthlink.net
Fri Aug 11 20:57:00 CDT 2006


One more data point. I have my nose gear out working on it, and so I measured the top and bottom of the strut. They are out of parallel by seven degrees, and I have had shimmy problems. In fact I left my broken old style fork on the runway several years ago. Since that time, I have had numerous minor cases of shimmy that I could control only by keeping the Belleville washers so tight that taxiing is a real pain. Anything less than about twenty four pounds and the shimmy is apt to start. At that tension, I am overheating and wearing out my brakes taxiing.

Shimmy and too many hard landings have taken out the nose gear retract pivot bushings. I am in the process of replacing them with the larger reinforced version, and at the same time I will be installing the nose wheel lock. I have the lock and it looks like a well designed and well made device.

Don
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060811/585f029c/attachment.html 


More information about the Reflector mailing list