REFLECTOR: Nose wheel shimmy

Scott Derrick scott at tnstaafl.net
Fri Aug 11 08:57:02 CDT 2006


Kirk,

Every time I hear about an "incurable" nose gear shimmy I wonder, what 
is different.  There are too many flying V's with no problem, like my 
airplane for this to be a design flaw. 

I experienced mild shimmy one time. After pulling up to the hanger I 
discovered the nose wheel was almost free spinning. I had just replaced 
the nose wheel tire and "thought" I had tightened it enough when it was 
on the jacks but didn't check during pre-flight. Its a must item on my 
pre-flight now. 450 hours and only that one time.

If Velocity has a manufacturing problem with the nose gear strut where 
the angle is that far off that would explain it.  We already know a few 
were manufactured with the wrong hardness process.  This really sounds 
like Velocity "sometimes" has a QA problem for OEM parts.

thanks for the info,

Scott


NMFlyer1 at aol.com wrote:
> Kirk,..
>  
> I am not flying yet, but wonder if anyone else has a similar part 
> anomaly.
>  
> My nosegear could not get the required angle on the lower kingpin 
> portion of the nose gear leg. I tried and tried and it just seemed 
> off. I pulled the nose gear leg out... and put it in a vise so that 
> the upper portion of the leg was plumb. The lower part was way off.
>  
> I called the factory and asked if the lower part of the leg was 
> supposed to be exactly parallel with the upper part .  They said yes.  
> I informed them that mine was not, and that I could not get the 
> required "rake" or angle on that lower nose gear portion. They asked 
> me to send it back to the factory.  Although they could now figure out 
> just what happened... they sent me a correct nose gear leg.
>  
> If you have a similar problem, you may have shopping cart syndrome, no 
> matter what you do it will shimmy until you get the correct "rake" on 
> that kingpin.
>  
> Just something you might want to check.
>  
> Kurt Winker
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> _______________________________________________
> To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
> Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
> user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
> Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
> Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

-- 

-
    Those willing to give up a little liberty for a little security deserve neither security nor liberty.

    Benjamin Franklin 



More information about the Reflector mailing list