REFLECTOR: High oil temps

Jim & Sharon Beck jsbeck at charter.net
Wed Aug 9 23:58:19 CDT 2006


Another place to check. I seem to have finally solved my high oil temps on 
my 173rge  with IO360A1B6 after a year and 1/2 I could never climb out in 
the summer without the hitting 240 degrees   and even higher. and cruise 
temps were running in the high 230s and sometimes even 240 until reducing 
power to land. Last year I pub on a second oil cooler ( no change ) I put 
sensors on the oil lines going into and out of the cooler last fall and on a 
65 degree day found I was getting a 60 degree temp drop across the front 
cooler. with the hot side reading right along with my engine gauge. Last 
weekend I changed the position of my oil temp probe to the horizontal 
position right beside the vernatherm and have flown 3 times now with the OAT 
in the 90s and have yet to get a redlight in climb highest about 225 in a 
slow climb and goes back to 210 to 213 at cruise speeds with OAT at about 80 
degrees.
I can live with that . only wish I had found this earlier as it would have 
saved a lot of time & grief  & worry.
Jim
173 RGE  29 RP 


More information about the Reflector mailing list