REFLECTOR: Rudder Flutter Fix (and CS props)

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Fri Aug 4 00:47:49 CDT 2006


Thanks guys for the info on speeds over Vne and the rudder flutter 
experiences. It sounds like you want the rudder to be air loaded at all 
times, so it can't start vibrating at high speeds. As Tim said "As long as 
held rudder  pressure there was no
flutter". I guess if you get rudder flutter, apply force on the rudder pedal 
to stop it.

I don't remember checking rudder toe-in (Alan's wings), but I will tomorrow.

Chuck H

p.s. I guess nobody is going to help me find a CS prop???

I wrote:

I've been trying to find a good, reliable, and reasonably priced (electric)
CS prop and here's what I'm seeing:

Aerocomposite-looks good, but spendy like MT/Hoffman $13K

Vesta-new, but untested in pusher V's-Good price $6K (2 blade)-7K(3 blade)

MT has had problems, but some people love thiers and others don't.

MPS-under development, but price is $6K for 2 blade.

I'd appreciate any additional info anybody has on these or other CS props
that will work on a 200 hp IO360 Std RG. Thx.

Chuck H




--------------------
This is interesting to hear, the manual on page 2-28 just under the figure
2-25, states to make the same measurement and to shoot for 1/2" to 1". I
remembered this because I just installed my winglets last week. I set mine
at 1". I'm glad I didn't try for the 1/2".



Andy



Are we mixing models here, or is it the same for all?



Al

----- Original Message ----- 



Duane suggested this:   Measure the distance from the middle of the leading
edge on the winglet just above the wing to the other leading edge winglet.
Then  measure from the trailing edge of one rudder to the other trailing
edge of the opposite rudder. The distance between the trailing edge of the
rudders needs to be at least one inch and not more than two inches greater
that the winglet leading edge measurement.  Mine was less than a half inch.
So because My ball is centered when I fly I need to shim out each rudder
equally un till I get at least one inch greater than the leading edge
measurement.  Both the top and the bottom of the rudder need support stops
when moving the rudder out.    An interesting observation on my way home
from Oshkosh. On a shallow decent I was doing about 205kts indicated and
once again I felt the slighest flutter  in the left rudder When I looked out
I could see the rudder fluttering  but only the top half of the rudder was
doing it.  I had shimmed out the bottom but not the top and so I observed
only the top vibrating.  Dwane had showed me at Oshkosh how the factory on
their new demonstrator had been shimmed out on the top and bottom.  I am
making these modifications and will report my findings when I have them. It
may be a while before I test fly as I am still a little freaked out about
going so fast. Every little bump I feel I think something is going baaaad.
Pat I would appreciate knowing your measurements. You certainly can go fast
without flutter.  Thanks for making the trip to compete.  I enjoyed meeting
you and talking.    Tim Rhodenbaugh
 




More information about the Reflector mailing list