REFLECTOR: Vne for V

Chuck Harbert c.harbert at comcast.net
Wed Aug 2 08:44:09 CDT 2006


Len, the way I think about this is to get high ground speed is carry hp to 
altitude. Going fast at low altitudes uses lots of hp and fuel. The 
indicated airspeed IAS is a measure of the air pressure on the airframe 
which is creating the drag. As you go higher where there is less air 
pressure, your airspeed indicator will show a lower IAS, but you ground 
speed will be the same as at lower altitudes (assuming all things equal). 
Thus, if you can maintain 200 kts indicated a 10K', you'll actually be doing 
well over 200 kts ground speed. Most airspeed indicators have a speed 
correction insert showing the true airspeed corrected for altitude and temp. 
on the face.

This is why people use larger hp engines or turbocharging to carry more hp 
to the upper altitudes. You can exceed 200kts by huge amounts and not 
overstress the plane. A jet airline pilot told me that a 36K ' the plane was 
doing close to 500 mph ground speed, but his airspeed indicator only showed 
265kts. I think he told me the Vne on the plane was around 300 kts.

Because we build our own planes, I think the factory says Vne is 200kts 
assuming a safety factor adequate to cover well built (and not so well built 
planes). Dwayne actually told me the story of the guy who rolled out into a 
dive and his GPS said that the plane had gone 272 kts (small cracking behind 
the canard), but all this indicates is that under these unique 
circumstances, the plane didn't come apart.

I hired a test pilot to do my first Vne test, so I know my plane can handle 
it. I just never want to know what flutter feels like. That's just me, but I 
also would like to know if others have had experience a IAS above 200kts.

Chuck H

Len Baxter wrote:

>> I thought the Velocity was limited to approx 200 kn (indicated).........
>> It seems to me that you and Pat must be exceeding that limit.  As a
>> "newbee" I would like to learn what is needed to expand the upper limit
>> beyond 200kn ( other than more power)
>>
>> thanks
>> Len Baxter 




More information about the Reflector mailing list