REFLECTOR: Compass

Dave Dent davedent at comcast.net
Tue Apr 25 11:56:56 CDT 2006


I would also install a back up for the GRT.  It can take two back ups.  I put in a 12V5Ahr li-ion battery as a back up.  But you can get a small 7Ahr lead acid and do the same.  It will just be a little heavier.  I turn mine on while doing test with just the ship's battery on.  When the gear pump cycles it drops my GRT/EFIS screen of line for a second.  So by turning on the back up, it keeps it on line.  I charge my EFIS battery every 50 hrs weather it needs it or not, normally it don't.  I keep it separate from all other systems, including the charging system.  
  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Keith Hallsten 
  To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list' 
  Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 9:03 PM
  Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Compass


  Whether or not it's strictly required, it seems like a pretty good idea, and doesn't cost much.  I'm putting in the GRT EFIS with a magnetometer, but I will definitely install an old-fashioned whiskey compass against that day when nothing in the panel works!  

   

  I will also keep a hand-held Comm radio with fresh batteries in the flight bag, and have a portable GPS up and running that will revert to its own batteries if the entire ship's electrical system goes out to lunch.  It's not that I have no confidence in my ability to install and maintain a reliable electrical system; I just believe it's prudent to have a workable "Plan B" for the failure of ANY component of the aircraft if at all possible.  When it comes to most aircraft systems, it's both possible and practical.

   

  Keith Hallsten

      

   


------------------------------------------------------------------------------

  From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On Behalf Of Joe Ewen
  Sent: Monday, April 24, 2006 6:10 PM
  To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
  Subject: REFLECTOR: Compass

   

  A quick compass question.  If the AC is equipped with a glass panel that provides magnetic compass heading, is a mechanical compass still required?

   

  Thanks,

  Joe



------------------------------------------------------------------------------


  _______________________________________________
  To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

  Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
  user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
  Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
  Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060425/79c3558e/attachment-0001.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list