REFLECTOR: Odd Jorgensen and center spar section lay-ups

michalk michalk at awpi.com
Thu Apr 20 10:20:49 CDT 2006


I think for some people they don't know the gravity of the situation 
that could happen if a certain layup failed.  Marking all of the 
important ones as critical leads people to dismiss the notation.  I 
think much more sobering would be for each of the "really critical" 
layups would be a description on what this structure does.  Maybe even 
what would happen if it failed.

Alex Balic wrote:
> Well I remember those layups well- I remember how difficult it was to get
> the job done through the hole at the rear of the spar- but they are critical
> layups- the CS spar has relatively low torsional strength, and without the
> solid bracing of the strakes, at least excessive flexing, and at worst
> failure is bound to occur.  If the connecting layups are not properly
> attached- I had the old paintbrush on a stick going for almost an hour in
> there to make sure it was all solidly down and at least as good as the other
> layups on the spar- although the manual does note about this- I would
> recommend that perhaps it should be highlighted more that these are CRITICAL


More information about the Reflector mailing list