REFLECTOR: Armpit scoops..

David Staten Dastaten at earthlink.net
Thu Apr 20 00:14:45 CDT 2006


Our powerplant is the Mazda Rotary.. 13B (2 rotor).. should get about 
190 hp NA, have a PSRU, EFI controller and Engine Monitor from Tracy 
Crook in Florida (www.rotaryaviation.com) .. Engine was rebuilt by Chris 
and I last year, and I have been slowly collecting peripherals. I have a 
crude intake in place for initial start, and will likely buy a purpose 
built tuned intake from Mistral in europe.

Chris has some pics at www.lonestarvelocity.com    the second portion of 
the photographic builder's log has most of the recent stuff..

We have had two different rotary powered planes have first flight last 
weekend.. one in WA and one in FL.... so our numbers are growing..

A big thanks for the parts and the instructions..
Dave


NMFlyer1 at aol.com wrote:

>
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Subject:
> Re: REFLECTOR: Armpit scoops..
> From:
> NMFlyer1 at aol.com
> Date:
> Thu, 20 Apr 2006 01:04:52 EDT
> To:
> Dastaten at earthlink.net
>
> To:
> Dastaten at earthlink.net
>
>
> Dave...
>  
> Well... here is the story.
>  
> I have 2 radiators. One is (viewed from behind) behind the left upper 
> NACA scoop. I made an expansion plenum that slowly expands the air 
> vertically  (width is the same as the radiator area) before it hits 
> the fins. It exits naturally across the fuel rails/valve cover area, 
> and there is an aft facing exit area behind the valve cover.
>  
> The second radiator is on the bottom center. It is fed with another 
> NACA scoop in the belly.
> The oil cooler is behind that radiator, then the flow is across the 
> bottom of the pan. There is another aft facing exit there.
>  
> There are no protuding scoops on the airplane (except for the stock 
> oil cooler exit area).  all NACA inlets, and Smooth exit areas.
>  
> I also have a big heater core in the nose. This provides cabin heat. 
> It has an attached blower.
> The flow is either into the cabin/defroster if I need heat, or out the 
> bottom with the stock Velocity exit scoop. I can use the blower and 
> heater core as boost cooling if/when needed.
>  
> I had my radiators built at Ron Davis Racing in Phoenix. I was much 
> more impressed with them than Griffin. Quality products, fair price 
> and genuine interest in the work.
> There are a lot more details (as you know).
>  I'm not sure I can make it to the symposium, it would be pretty tough 
> to get off work... but I am trying. I'll send out the scoops tomorrow 
> by USPS, with the instructions I have.
>  
> What engine are you using?  how far along?
>  
>  
> I am about 2-3 weeks from engine start. I can provide pics if you want 
> them. Of course, if you ever get out to Albuquerque, you are welcome.
>  
> Welcome to the MadMan club :)
>  
> Kurt Winker
>  
>
>------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>



More information about the Reflector mailing list