REFLECTOR: Rudder deflection - again

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Fri Apr 14 09:24:15 CDT 2006


Al, 

 

I am not sure where you got your numbers (but I don't doubt that you have
them). 

 

 My original manual says to get at least 1" travel before the brakes, and
about 3.5" total. 

 

Got them off the on-line manual, which is the easiest place to find things.
Maybe I should try looking again in the original manual; and maybe getting
to 3 ½” is good enough.

 

I like your idea, and I recall considering it when I was still “building”.
I really don’t want to go there at this point, so I’ll look for something
easier first.  

 

Al

 

 

When I started working on mine, I downloaded the specs from the online
manual. It said to get 1-3/4" before brakes and 3.5" total. 

 

Now, I have to say that I stole, or borrowed this mod, but I now have a
little more than 2.75" before the brakes, and about 5.5" total. 

 

The way I did this was take a piece of 3/8" steel tube about 2" long. I
welded a tab on the end just like what is on the end of the rudder arms in
the cabin. 

 

I then slid the unit up inside the original rudder arms so that, in effect,
I have a 1.125" extension on the rudder actuator on the pedal system. I
welded this in place. 

 

This mod did require that I move the location of the pedal stops a little,
and I had to re-swage the rudder connection near the firewall to make
everything tight and smooth. 

 

I would have taken a pic for you, but just discovered my camera batteries
are dead. I can take one tomorrow if you need it. 

 

This is on a 173 FGE, so your numbers may reflect a different model. 

 

Hope this helps,   Kurt 

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060414/0950b694/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list