REFLECTOR: Prop Extension

Al Gietzen ALVentures at cox.net
Tue Apr 11 09:56:12 CDT 2006


Subject: REFLECTOR: Prop Extension

 

To those of you that have worked through this detail, what are your thoughts
on the relative merits/challenges of various prop extension lengths?  I have
heard that anything from 4 to 8 inches will work.  With a fixed pitch weight
and balance should not be an issue, but with an MT or Aero Composites does
the length become and W&B issue.  Does anyone have any data on propeller
efficiency improvement of one position or another?  What length seems to
best suited to the XL cowling with an IO540?

 

- jerry

XLRG N202VB barely started

Jerry;

 

You might want to wait on that decision until you have better handle on
weights.  I expect that there is an advantage to moving the prop back a bit
from the wings and cowl, but have no data to back it up.  I thought that
with a 17 lb. fixed pitch prop adding the weight of a 6" extension, and
moving the weight of the prop back was not an issue.  Now I find that light
weight of an all electronic panel (24.5 lbs), lighter weight batteries, and
no oil cooler up front moved the CG back enough that were I doing it over
I'd probably dis the extension; especially since my more powerful engine
installation is also a bit heavier than a stock Lyc 360.  It just makes for
more ballast in the nose.  The standard lofting for W&B is based on old
technology.

 

Al


CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is
for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential
and privileged information or otherwise be protected by law. Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you
are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail
and destroy all copies of the original message.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060411/7c19687e/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list