REFLECTOR: Cirrus v. Velocity

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Mon Apr 10 18:30:41 CDT 2006


I am still not sure why this has turned into a "this" vs "that"
conversation.  Scott ... I am sure you can see that the planes are
completely different animals and not even meant to compete for the same
customer.

I believe "wives" are the reason Cirrus is the number one selling plane
in the world.  It is roomy, comfortable, stacked with the latest
avionics and features, unsurpassed redundancy, backed by a great company
and comes with an airframe parachute for safety -- which in 11
deployments has not cost a single life (by the way not one of the
deployments came as a result of aircraft or mechanical failure).

But why is it, when one spouts his opinions of both planes (Based on
actual real-life, every day personal ownership and flying experience) it
tends to "threaten" the Velocity world?

Are they trying to convince themselves they made the right choice?

I noticed the same thin on the Cirrus website.  If I mention another
plane ... the Cirrus people go nuts.

THEY ARE MACHINES!  NOT WIVES!  WHO CARES?  Pilots need to chill.

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Baker
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 2:42 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: REFLECTOR: Cirrus v. Velocity

I have noticed that many Velocity aircraft vary in their indicated air
speed
due to either an un-calibrated air speed indicator and the position of
the
static port.  Calibrating the air speed indicator at the local avionics
shop
is a good thing to do - but that still leaves the possibility of air
speed
errors caused by the static port.  I trust the Cirrus air speed because
of
its being certified.  It's great to get a fast moving certified aircraft
to
do some side-by-side flights with the Velocity, just to make sure both
air
speed "meters" are indicating the same during formation flight.
200 knots indicated in the Denver area is outstanding.  The true air
speed
must be "right on up there".  I have flown the company demonstrator
(310hp)
at Front Range and at Colorado Springs - giving demo rides with 4-people
on
board and about 40-gallons of fuel - and the aircraft performed quite
well.
I've talked to several Cirrus 22 owners who have taken a demo ride in
the XL
with the Continental IO-550.  All of them seemed impressed - and most
admitted the Velocity had a small but noticable performance advantage.
Most
were looking for a way to reduce the cost of aircraft ownership.
Several of
the Cirrus owners were upset with the cost of aircraft insurance.
Sunny Eymann recently sold his Velocity XL in favor of a Cirrus 22
because
he liked the feel of the Cirrus in a cross-wind landing - something that
is
an everyday event in Key West.  Still, he likes the Velocity - he just
felt
the Cirrus was the right aircraft for him.
Random thoughts.
Scott B.


----- Original Message -----
From: "Tom Martino" <tmartino at troubleshooter.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 10:51 AM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Take Off Performance


1600 Pounds.  Actually a little less now that I am removing the back
seats.  If I push it I can darn near indicate 200 knots ... but normal
cruise would be less.

-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Al Gietzen
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 8:23 AM
To: 'Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list'
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Take Off Performance

Tom;

I'm curious what the empty weight is on your Velocity.

Thanks,

Al

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw =vbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list