REFLECTOR: Take Off Performance
Rene Dugas
dugasd at bellsouth.net
Mon Apr 10 17:43:49 CDT 2006
Speaking of sports cars - anyone with any experience with the Turbine
Legend? Solo 7500 ft/min climb.
Rene'
-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of John Tvedte
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 12:31 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Take Off Performance
My 2 cents - probably not even worth that....
I've heard the Std. referred to as the 'Sports Car' Velocity, while the
XL has been referred to as the 'Sedan'.
I've worked on both the Std. and XL - I'm 6'2" - and I can tell you -
the STD does not have any where near as much room in the rear to
maneuver - let alone put people and luggage vs. the XL.
The XL - is quite roomy in the rear - and has a very reasonable amount
of space for people and luggage.
A Std. with the 173 wings - is IMHO the odd duck - it has the drag of
the large wings - and the size of the Std.
Tom's has that slick IO-540 with the 4 blade MT (because the plane sits
closer to the ground than an XL) - and that super nice paint job - so
I'm not calling his plane odd :o)
_____
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of HYTEC45 at aol.com
Sent: Monday, April 10, 2006 10:39 AM
To: reflector at tvbf.org
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Take Off Performance
In a message dated 4/9/2006 6:33:05 P.M. Pacific Standard Time,
bferrell at 123mail.net writes:
I'm not flying yet,
I have been flying my STD-RG 220hp. for 11 years. Tom Martino is
correct in what he says IMHO. I also saw all the "factory specs" for my
STD-RG when I was building, my mileage varied. I use my plane as a
great 2 place, with great speed for the fuel burn. It kicks ass over
any EZ due to it's size, and the back seat for baggage, or sleeping room
for the passenger on the long leg. However, if I was to take four
adults anywhere, I would leave a little fuel behind, and take my 172.
Granted I do not have a XL, but again, more size=more HP.
I would take Tom's advise as a reliable source, and use it in planning
future uses. If your mileage varies after flight testing your bird,
then we know that Tom has a dog of a V;-), but some how, I don't think
that's the case. I have had "pucker factor" a time or two on take-off
myself.
TEC
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060410/c9fcc6d8/attachment.htm
More information about the Reflector
mailing list