REFLECTOR: Shimmy on landing

Kevin Baker flykb at verizon.net
Sun Apr 9 23:22:54 CDT 2006


Hi Wayne,
How did you tweak the caster?

At 02:46 PM 4/9/2006, you wrote:
>Same for me.
>I kept thinking I had corrected the shimmy.Then I ground off the chin and 
>the nose gear went through the prop after a greaser landing.
>Tweaking the caster fixed the problem on the new gear leg so I don't even 
>need the steering lock I added.
>Wayne
>----- Original Message ----- From: "Richard Riley" <richard at riley.net>
>To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
>Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 10:44 AM
>Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Shimmy on landing
>
>
>>At 07:34 AM 4/9/2006, you wrote:
>>>Richard Riley wrote:
>>>>A friend of mine snapped his front LG strut on an XL-RG last year.  It 
>>>>was a very gentle landing, but he'd had several shimmy events 
>>>>previously and strongly suspects it was shimmy that did it.  I looked 
>>>>at the break under a high power microscope, there was no sign of 
>>>>corrosion or crescents in the break, it was a sudden, complete failure.
>>>Most likely it was already cracked from the previous events and he 
>>>miss-interpreted the visual cues.  He would have been wiser to rectify 
>>>it after the first event instead of repeatedly punishing the nose gear 
>>>until complete failure.  But then hind site is always 20x20.
>>>
>>>Shimmy on any plane should be correct4ed immediately.  On our fully 
>>>castering nose wheels its even more  important.
>>
>>He was trying to correct it from the first incident, but (in hindsight) 
>>not aggressively enough.
>>
>>_______________________________________________
>>To change your email address, visit 
>>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>>
>>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
>>
>
>
>_______________________________________________
>To change your email address, visit 
>http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector
>
>Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
>user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
>Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
>Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html



More information about the Reflector mailing list