REFLECTOR: Take Off Performance

Tom Martino tmartino at troubleshooter.com
Sun Apr 9 22:50:56 CDT 2006


I need to clarify my position:  I LOVE THE VELOCITY.

However I do think the V with an IO-360 is underpowered as a true
four-place.  Sure it can get by ... but 200 horsepower is just not
enough by most standards, for any four-place -- with luggage.

I think the bigger engines lend higher safety margins and better all
around.  

I made my 173 Elite RG with an IO-540 a hot rod ... with a straight
shelf in the back, instead of back seats.  The front seats are Ferrari
like, low to the floor.

If people like using their Vs for cross-country ... fine.  I hope they
enjoy them for many years.  I simply do not find it adequate.

As for the "behind the seat" storage.  It is cramped and small, with
inconvenient access.

This does not have to be the Cirrus vs the Velocity.  They are different
planes ... not even meant to compete for the same customer.

Cirrus is the top selling plane in the world for a reason.  

Velocity is a cool plane which draws crowds but it is a highly specific
plane when it comes to taste.

Love them both (for different reasons)

Tom



-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of jmbmitch33
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 8:47 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Take Off Performance

Why do you think the V is not a true 4 place airplane....just because it
has 
to take a little longer to gain lift w/ 4 people?  From the performance
of 
my IO360 ...I find it to have plenty of power w/ some reserve.  I do
agree 
that take offs are a bit longer but not by much, even with 1/2 full on
fuel.

Mitch

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Tom Martino" <tmartino at troubleshooter.com>
To: "Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list" <reflector at tvbf.org>
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 7:49 PM
Subject: RE: REFLECTOR: Take Off Performance


Since I own both and fly them extensively ... I admit that the Cirrus
burns more gas (not much more) ... but it carries more people and weight
than the V.

For cross-country performance there is no comparison.  The Cirrus wins.

However, the V (which I LOVE) is a great hot rod.  Those who call it a
true four-place cross-country machine are compromising a lot.  Even the
XL leaves much to be desired in this department when you try taking four
people with any kind of baggage.

I realize Vs can be built (even professionally) cheaper than I paid for
the SR-22 ... so price wise ... the argument could go on forever as to
what is the best value.

I believe the Lancair (kit) and RV10 leave V in the dust for
cross-country purposes.

Don't mistake this as a "put-down" of Vs ... I cherish mine.  But I know
it's limitations.

Maybe I'd feel differently living at sea level and flying to lower
airport.

Cheers.



-----Original Message-----
From: reflector-bounces at tvbf.org [mailto:reflector-bounces at tvbf.org] On
Behalf Of Scott Derrick
Sent: Sunday, April 09, 2006 4:31 PM
To: Velocity Aircraft Owners and Builders list
Subject: Re: REFLECTOR: Take Off Performance

Tom Martino wrote:
>
> Once flying ... the performance is about equal.
>
> Is it the canard that makes it sluggish on take-off? That's the only
> tin I can surmise.
>
Really?? I've flown a couple SR22's and seems to me they use a lot more
gas than a Velocity for the same speed. Which isn't equal performance in

my mind.

Scott

-- 

-
    The antidote for misuse of freedom of speech is more freedom of
speech.

    Molly Ivans

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html
_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit 
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw =vbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html 

_______________________________________________
To change your email address, visit
http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/listinfo/reflector

Visit the gallery!  www.tvbf.org/gallery
user:pw = tvbf:jamaicangoose
Check new archives: www.tvbf.org/pipermail
Check old archives: http://www.tvbf.org/archives/velocity/maillist.html




More information about the Reflector mailing list