REFLECTOR: Take Off Performance

NMFlyer1 at aol.com NMFlyer1 at aol.com
Sun Apr 9 10:11:07 CDT 2006


When I went to the last Texas Velocity event in TKI, I was amazed at how much 
runway Velocities took to get off the ground. It wasn't very hot that 
weekend, and the field elevation was much lower than here in New Mexico.  That 
weekend was an eye opener for me, and caused me to go with my current engine choice 
(340 HP 4.3L, Aluminum V-6 Chevy). 

Since my field elevation is 4800 MSL, density altitude (DA) is always a 
concern. On a summer day out here, about 25% of your horsepower is gone, just to 
DA, and that doesn't include the effects on prop and wings. If had put a 200 HP 
IO-360 in my 173, I would be trying to take off from a 4300' runway, in a 
canard, with 150HP (on a good day) high and hot,... NOT a good idea... just ask 
Scott... he's been in here a couple times. Notice he is changing engines in his 
V also. 

So my plan for high DA takeoffs here has many parts: 

    More Horsepower!!! That should get me to takeoff speed much faster.

    Lots of torque, and a huge 76" 3-blade constant speed prop.
    
    The 173 Wing, for slower T/O & Landing speeds, and better high altitude 
performance.

    I left the Elevator cuffs off. Am putting the VG's on. 

    I reworked the rudders. I have about 2.5" deflection before the brakes 
touch.. and over         5.5" total rudder travel. That should help on takeoff 
and reduce brake use on takeoff &         crosswinds. 

    
Wish me luck. I pick up my ceramic coated exhaust tomorrow and finish up the 
engine monitor wiring this week. Pretty close to engine start... finally. 

Kurt 
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://www.tvbf.org/mailman/private/reflector/attachments/20060409/54a3884e/attachment.html


More information about the Reflector mailing list